April Home Maintenance To-Do List
By: Danny Lipford
To-Do #6: Clean Out and Organize Garage
Now that the weather’s finally warm enough to open your doors, give your garage a good spring cleaning and organization makeover!
Garage Cleaning and Organizing Tips:
- Clean Out: Start by thoroughly cleaning the garage. Get control of the clutter by sorting everything into: things to keep, things to give away or sell, and things to recycle or throw away. Large plastic bins are helpful for sorting the keepers into categories such as hand tools, power tools, painting supplies, sports equipment, etc.
- Spruce Up: While the garage is empty it’s a good time to clean or pressure wash the floor. Improve the look of your garage by painting the walls, then seal or paint the floor to repel stains.
- Add Storage: A little storage space goes a long way in keeping a garage neat. Bike hooks are great for keeping bikes out of the way. You can also stow bikes overhead using ropes and pulleys. Hanging racks help organize rakes and other garden tools, and building storage shelves can be used to square away tools, boxes, and storage containers.
- Keep It Clean: Remember that the garage is an entry to your home – sometimes the most often used one – so it should be kept tidy and welcoming. Keep a door mat by the door into the house, along with a place to leave muddy boots. A shelf or bench near the door is great for putting grocery sacks or packages while you find your keys. Make sure there’s adequate lighting in the garage and that entry steps are in good condition.
For more home maintenance to-do lists, check out:
- Spring Home Improvement Guide
- Summer Home Maintenance To-Do List
- Fall Home Maintenance To-Do List
- Winter Home Survival Guide
- Monthly Lawn & Garden To-Do Lists
You May Also Like:
|April Weather Channel Appearances||April Newsletter||When to Plant a Spring Garden||It’s Spring – Are You Ready to Mow?|