August Home Maintenance To-Do List
To-Do #3: Clean and Maintain Bathroom Vent Fan
Running a bathroom vent fan during and for 10-20 minutes after you shower or bath is important to remove excess humidity and prevent mold or mildew from forming. Cleaning the vent fan annually will keep it running quietly and efficiently.
To clean a bathroom vent fan:
- Turn the power off to the fan.
- Remove the cover (on most fans you pull down on the cover to extend it, then compress the spring wires on each side to take it off).
- Use a brush or vacuum to remove dust from the cover, then scrub it in soapy water.
- Vacuum out the dust from inside the fan box and wipe off the blades.
- Spray the moving parts with silicone lubricant to help it run smoothly and quietly.
- Replace the vent fan cover.
- Turn the power back on.
- Check to see if the fan is working properly. If not, remove and replace the vent fan motor.
Check out our video on How To Maintain a Bathroom Vent Fan to find out more.
While you have the stepladder in the bathroom, remove any cobwebs, scrub mildew off the ceiling or walls, and replace burned out or old inefficient light bulbs with energy saving LED or CFL bulbs.
(Click ‘Next Page’ below to continue reading)