How to Clean Outdoor Patio and Deck Furniture
Regardless of whether the outdoor furniture on your patio or deck is made of wood, aluminum, wrought iron, or plastic; it takes a lot of abuse from the elements including sun, rain, snow, and extreme changes in temperature.
Here are some tips on how to clean and protect the furniture on your deck or patio to keep it looking like new.
Wrought Iron and Metal Furniture
How to Clean:
- Mix up a squirt of dishwashing detergent with a bucket of warm water.
- Scrub surface with a scrub brush.
- Rinse furniture and allow to dry.
- Use a wire brush or sandpaper to remove any rusted spots down to the bare metal.
- Wipe off any metal reside with a clean cloth dampened with mineral spirits or naphtha.
- Spray bare spots with a primer made for metal, such as those made by Rust-Oleum following the directions on the can (wear an approved respirator). Allow surface to dry for recommended time.
- Spray furniture with paint made for metal of the desired color, following the directions on the can (wear an approved respirator).
- Allow paint to dry thoroughly before using furniture.
How to Remove Oxidation:
- Option #1: Remove light oxidation by rubbing the surface with a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water.
- Option #2: Rub the surface with automotive rubbing or polishing compound to abrade away oxidation.
- Option #3: Clean the surface with dishwashing detergent and water using a plastic scrubbing sponge or very fine steel wool. NOTE: Try first on hidden area to see if it scratches the aluminum.
- All options: Rinse off the cleaning solution with a garden hose, and allow to dry.
How to Prevent Oxidation:
- Apply a coat of automotive paste wax to the surface.
- Allow the wax to dry for a few minutes.
- Remove residue and polish surface with a clean cloth.
You May Also Like:
|Martha Stewart Living Furniture||Maintaining a Wood Deck||NeverWet Outdoor Fabric Spray||How to Clean Outdoor Patio Furniture|