How to Finish a Basement in Your Home
I’m planning on finishing our basement myself at little at a time. How should I go about it? -Tony
When finishing a basement, you should tackle the job in this order:
- Check your local building codes for requirements such as ceiling height, stair proportions, and the location and size of egress windows and doors.
- Make sure the envelope around your basement is waterproof, and correct any moisture or humidity problems that may exist.
- Test the basement for the presence of radon gas, and take steps to lower it if needed.
- Draw a detailed plan for the space.
- Frame up any interior walls.
- Rough in the wiring, plumbing, and ductwork.
- Hang and finish the drywall on ceiling and walls.
- Install interior door units.
- Install trim molding.
- Paint walls and trim.
- Install any built-in cabinets.
- Finish up plumbing and wiring.
- Install flooring.
Good luck with your project,
You May Also Like:
|Basement Design and Finishing Tips||Basement Renovation Tips for Your Home||Dealing with Basement Stairs||Sealing Basement Walls|