How to Grow Fescue Grass in Your Yard

By: Julie Day
Fescue grass lawn

Fescue grass is a popular cool-season grass for home lawns.

Fescue is a common lawn grass throughout much of the U.S. and Canada. These types of grasses are generally known for their year-round green color, drought resistance, and shade tolerance. Here’s what you need to know about growing fescue grass in your lawn.

About Fescue Grass Lawns

Fescue is a cool-season grass; that means it grows best in the spring and fall when temperatures are cooler, and it struggles during the heat of summer. Under the right conditions, fescue is green year-round, but it can go dormant (brown) during severe heat and drought.

Because fescue is slightly more heat tolerant than other cool-season grasses, it’s a great choice for lawns located in the “transition zone,” where summers are too hot for other cool-season grasses, but winters may be too cold for warm-season grasses.

Click below to continue reading

Next Page »

Comments

13 Comments on “How to Grow Fescue Grass in Your Yard”

Thomas Boni Says:
    October 16th, 2018 at 11:53 am

Hi, Jeryl,

We are happy to hear this article helped you out!
    Thanks for reading this crash course on a cool-season grass.
    If you haven’t already, please…

*Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/todayshomeownermedia/
    *Like us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DannyLipford
    *And check out Instagram and Pinterest pages! (https://www.instagram.com/todayshomeowner/ and https://www.pinterest.com/todayshomeowner/pins/)

And we always appreciate when our fans tell their friends about the practical home improvement advice they receive from “Today’s Homeowner.”

Thanks so much for watching — take care!

• Jeryl Boyles Says:
    October 15th, 2018 at 9:35 pm

I just planted tall Fescue in really hard clay soil. I’m crossing my fingers, but this article was so informative and will take the guesswork out of how to care for it. Thank you!

• Billy Petillo Says:
    May 8th, 2018 at 1:31 pm

I tilled yard in February in Athens TX. then immediately fertilized sandy soil with 13.13.13 Waited 30 to 45 days planting fescue seed. Started coming up but now the first of May it all looks brown and dead. What did I do wrong ? Billy

• Doug Barnes Says:
    April 10th, 2018 at 6:53 pm

HELLO
    I have a hard clay soil only 2-3 inches on top of coarse sand. There are many oaks and cedar in the area which leaves the soil rather acid. It is south central Wisconsin with some erosion of the lawn due to grade. I can do fall seeding but prefer spring seeding. The lawn only gets 3-4 hrs of sun at most and everything I have planted seems to die off in the winter and not grow very full or hardy in the summer, What can you suggest?

• Linda OLeary Says:
    August 21st, 2017 at 7:26 pm

My fescue has always had brown patch in mid July
    Thru august but this year many spots irregular in
    Size and shape gray in color, dead spots and
    Bald spots. Can you tell me what you think
    Has happened.

• William Davis Says:
    May 5th, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Can someone tell me what is indo shade grass is it fescue grass

• Gary Sandt Says:
    October 19th, 2016 at 9:01 am

We live in Dallas, Tx. Will fescue grow and is it rabbit proof?

• Mike d Says:
    September 7th, 2016 at 3:19 pm

What would be the best time to plant fescue in Memphis tn. Thanks. Mike

• Roy Schmelzer Says:
    March 31st, 2016 at 11:58 pm

hi I am new to this lawn growing business and my problem is I live in the far southern part of Alberta, Canada only a few miles North of the Sweet Grass Hills of Montana. The land it purchased has a beautiful house but the yard was always neglected and it shows as the grass has grown in large clumps with bare patches everywhere. My question is can I drag a Diamond Harrow of these clumps to break them up and spread the fescue seed to help fill in the barren ground….. I would drag the harrows over the lawn during each rain as I do not have good water on site to water the new seed, the artesian well I have is very soft but also very high in Sodium. My lawn covers about 12 acres..

Thanks,

Roy

• Doreen Moran Says:
    November 29th, 2015 at 11:07 am

I have Tall red fescue self seeding,on a new lawn planted in may, grew in beautiful, on a shady hillside in Maryland. Now it is all brown and red? What did we do wrong?

• Vince Says:
    October 5th, 2015 at 10:15 am

Can I cover fescue grass with the weed control ground cover mesh to keep birds from eating the seeds? How long can I do that? Only dug up soil to clear root and weeds the topped soil with seeds covered and walked across to push soil down a little. I’m new.

• SKIP RYKARD Says:
    June 15th, 2015 at 10:31 am

MOST INFORMATIONAL! I SEEDED REBELS FESCUE 2 MONTHS AGO AND IT IS GROWING! I PLANTED IN BARE AREAS AND WATER TWICE WEEKLY! I LIVE IN SC, AND IT GETS PRETTY HOT! I REALIZE I SHOULD HAVE WAITED BUT I PLAN TO SEED THE REST OF MY LAWN IN SEPT.
    THANKS!!

• Dick North Says:
    November 24th, 2014 at 12:02 am

We have new fescue grass this year. This Fall we left a 6″ boundary forit to grow on a side. Will it take 2 or 3 mos. for the side of the yard to grow with the fescue grass
    enlargement/root system.