How to Keep Squirrels from Damaging Your Home

Squirrel hole gnawed in eave of house.

Squirrel hole gnawed in eave of house.

How can I keep squirrels from climbing on my house and damaging my home and window screens? -Jeri

Hi Jeri,

Squirrels love climbing on houses and can cause damage to the outside of your home by chewing on everything from lead roof flanges and attic vents to wood shutters and siding. If they manage to get inside your walls or attic, squirrels can cause extensive damage to your home, including chewing into wiring and tearing up insulation for nests.

To keep squirrels out of your house, start by thoroughly examining the exterior of your home – paying particular attention to the eaves – for holes and cracks; then fill or cover any gaps you find with a hard material such as fiber cement, sheet metal flashing, or auto body filler. Check gable, soffit, and power vents in the attic – as well as caps on chimneys – to make sure they have metal hardware cloth behind them that’s firmly attached around the edges.

Squirrels have a keen sense of smell and taste, and have a strong dislike for capsaicin – the active ingredient found in cayenne peppers. Commercial squirrel repellents are available; or you can make your own using cayenne peppers.

Here’s a recipe for a homemade squirrel repellent using capsaicin:

• 1 bottle of cayenne pepper sauce
  • 1 gallon of water
  • 1 teaspoon mild liquid dishwashing detergent

Mix the ingredients up together, and spray or brush the repellent on areas where squirrels are active.

Keep in mind that no repellent is 100% effective to a determined squirrel. Also, the repellent will wear off over time and need to be reapplied periodically.

Another idea is to give squirrels a reason to go somewhere else. Squirrels go nuts for peanut butter and sunflower seeds. So, you might want to provide a nice little oasis with a bird bath for water and a feeding station, so the critters will tend to congregate there instead.

Good luck with your project,

Danny

Comments

13 Comments on “How to Keep Squirrels from Damaging Your Home”

• Suren Sukhtankar Says:
    December 7th, 2016 at 6:28 pm

There are a plenty of squirrels in our subdivision. Last week I witnessed that a a corner of wood frame of my kitchen window has been eaten by an animal. I have two questions . 1. How to stop that animal from eating any further and 2. Do I need to replace my entire wood frame or window or use some kind of filler ? Thank you.

• Donna Griskonis Says:
    July 24th, 2016 at 10:24 am

I live in a senior citizen apartment complex we are inundated with squirrels jumping on the screens knocking out the screens and destroying apartments what can be done about this besides pepper spray it’s horrible afraid to open my windows

• Linda Westland Says:
    April 27th, 2016 at 8:38 am

Going today to get me a pellet gun and will also try HOT peppers to rub on house eves. If that doesn’t work, I’ll be getting some sticky board to staple where they are chewing my house. They haven’t gone through yet but I will stop them. Oh and I’m going to go to someplace and get a squirrel trap! Wish me luck!

• Charlie Says:
    March 9th, 2016 at 1:49 pm

A word of caution on live-trapping squirrels to remove nuisance. Living in NE Chicago, I had squirrels invading the attic and destroying garden produce (one bite and dropped on the ground; really annoying). I sealed the attic and live-trapped for over a year — 30+ squirrels — and released them in a Forest Preserve 12 mi. from home. At the end, there were no fewer squirrels around my home. They breed constantly and expand to fill up any environment with food (every garbage can in every alley nearby had a squirrel hole chewed through)

• larry Says:
    January 3rd, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Have large screened lanai. Squirrels crawl on it. Might try the pepper spray But I have cats on the lanai. Will this affect them in anyway?
    Thank for your reply.
    Laary

• Ethel Says:
    November 3rd, 2015 at 10:36 pm

A squirrel was outside my window sill just sitting there making a noise. I pecked on the window to get him off and he jumped to the ground and back up to the bathroom window. When I pecked on the window, he became agitated and got really noisy. I wanted to go outside and get him off my property. Will they attack people?

• Norm Jurkow Says:
    July 21st, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Squirrels love our vertical cedar sided house. They love the pink blown Fiberglass insulation installed over 30 years ago in the attic. It settled To R12 so had it replaced last Nov. with cellulose fiber, which squirrels dislike. Do not hear them in the attic anymore. Also caught 18 squirrels in live traps 3 years ago, About 2 last year, and 10 removed this July to join their friends and family about 2 miles away near a grove of oaks. We have 2 live traps, and will start campaign again in a few days, as there appear to be 3-4 out there. I’m rebuilding our daughters play house built 38 years ago, but has been badly chewed up. Turning it into a garden shed, but will use metal siding Where possible, and asphalt shingles instead of wood shingles. Using 4 x 8 chipboard was not a good idea. Also considering something different to keep them from penetrating underneath building. Have a lot of old patio stones for skirting.
    Good luck with yours!
    Norm

• Mrs gail calabrese Says:
    June 23rd, 2015 at 9:59 pm

by the way Debra get real. Do not feed the wild and you will not have wild animals in your home. They have natural instincts and will out survive us they are so efficient at feeding themselves. let your heart go and use your head.

• Mrs gail calabrese Says:
    June 23rd, 2015 at 9:54 pm

I have a squirrel who ate under shingles, fixed it. Dug into eaves was under roof. Screened it in. Finally he ate through my flashing under the eaves. Big hole in flashing. I had my handyman put the steel screening over that part too. However, house is for sale and what an eyesore. What could I do to reinstate the flashing and of course will remove the screening. Do they sell a 3 ft piece of flashing? I have now spent over $400 for this damn squirrel. He has moved now to neighbors home.

• Deborah Bekvey Says:
    September 20th, 2014 at 9:04 pm

HELP!! I don’t want to be kept a prisoner in my own home! I LOVE to keep all my windows open – especially in the Fall, and out of my about 20 squirrels, I think it;s the same ROGUE that keeps jumping on my window screens! He knocked the one right out of the kitchen window and it took me 4 Hours to get him out of my house after he found a hiding place on top of, and under, my china cabinet board. I have lived in this 1 story ranch house for 16 years, and I have constantly fed all the birdies and squirrelies, and have NEVER had a problem like I am having this year! I have to keep all my windows and doors closed. But once I give in and fill their 9 stations in the backyard – they calm down a little and stay away from the windows. I have tried sprinkling cayenne pepper straight from the spice jar on the sills, but it doesn’t seem to help much. I also don’t want the wind to blow it inside on my dishes or drainer. How can I enjoy the autumn weather? If I stop feeding them at all, my heart hurts.

• Barbara Says:
    September 3rd, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Looking for a raccoon baffle for a hanging bird feeder. I already have a dome-type baffle above the bird feeder, but the raccoon seems to be able to hang from the branch above and work around the baffle. I have no where else to hang the feeder other than from this branch. Also have no area in the yard to place a pole-based bird feeder.

Help.

• LISA Says:
    July 23rd, 2014 at 12:17 am

so i have squirrels been coming in through my windows because it is the summer it is incredibly hot in my house! however this morning while i was sleeping 2 more squirrels happened to come in! so i’m trying this hopefully it will work though my whole bedroon wreaks of cayanne pepper i used sammossa sauce! however its mostly hot sauce thats on my window ratio to water was off alittle!

• Jennifer Glahn Reck Says:
    July 26th, 2012 at 9:21 am

Thank you…I’m on my way to the store. One squirrel had my daughter terrified because she keeps climbing the screens in our TV room. At least it gets her away from the tele, but she won’t go outside!!
    Jenny