How to Receive Free Help Weatherizing Your Home

By: Julie Day

Caulking around windows to save energy

If you’re living a poorly insulated or energy inefficient home, you just might be eligible for some government help. The Weatherization Assistance Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy, funds grants to state and local agencies to provide free energy assessments and weatherization services to low income homeowners and tenants across the country. To date, this program has weatherized over 5 million homes.

Local weatherization programs include:

  • Energy audits
  • Energy Star appliances
  • HVAC improvements
  • Wall and pipe insulation
  • Weatherstripping and caulking

On average, weatherizing your house can reduce home energy bills by up to 20%. Not only can that make a huge difference in your budget, but it contributes to a greener planet!

The Weatherization Assistance Program has been around for about 30 years, but it recently got a big boost, in the form of a $5 billion contribution from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in 2009. As a result, local and state weatherization programs are expanding, and waiting times are shorter in many areas.

Installing rolls of fiberglass insulation in an attic


The Weatherization Assistance Program is an income-based program that’s open to homeowners, tenants (with landlord’s permission), and multi-family buildings. The financial guidelines vary from state to state, but in general the cutoff is based on a percentage of the federal poverty level.

To find out if you qualify, contact your local Weatherization Assistance Program office by visiting the Weatherization Assistance Program Project Map and clicking on your state.

Further Information



Please Leave a Comment

2 Comments on “How to Receive Free Help Weatherizing Your Home”

You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.

  • Debra Woody Says:
    January 9th, 2016 at 2:47 pm

    I applied for the weatherization program in my county 6 months ago, and I contacted them a couple of weeks ago to see where I am on the list. They said I am still way down on the list. My floors are cold, my walls are cold, and right now, I have bronchitis. Is there any kind of help out there

  • Barbara Paige Says:
    June 10th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

    No help in my state of Alabama I need home repair

We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at

How to Receive Free Help Weatherizing Your Home