How to Remove and Replace an Entry Door

Finishing an Entry Door Unit

It’s often easier to finish the door and frame before installation, then touch up the frame after it’s installed That way you don’t have to leave the door open while the paint or stain dries.

To finish an entry door unit before installation:

1. Remove the packing around the door, and take out any nails or clips that are holding the door in the frame.
  2. Door removed from frame for painting before installation.

Door removed for painting.

3. Use a hammer and chisel or nail set to tap out the hinge pins, then remove the door from the door frame.
  4. Put 2×4 blocks under the door and lean it against a wall, being careful not to compress or damage the rubber weather stripping on the bottom of the door. Or use our sawhorse door painting tip to paint or stain both sides of a door at the same time.
  5. Prime or stain the door, both inside and out, following the instructions that came with the door.
  6. Finish the door frame separately, being careful not to get paint or stain on the weather stripping or threshold.
  7. Apply two coats of exterior paint (or exterior polyurethane or spar varnish) to the outside of the door and frame, following the instructions on the finish.
  8. Apply two coats of interior latex or oil-based enamel paint (or interior polyurethane) to the inside of the door and frame, following the instructions on the finish.

Comments

8 Comments on “How to Remove and Replace an Entry Door”

Thomas Boni Says:
    January 25th, 2019 at 4:36 pm

Hi, Lillian,

We are so happy to hear that you enjoy “Today’s Homeowner!”
    If you haven’t already, please…

*Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/todayshomeownermedia/
    *Like us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DannyLipford
    *And check out Instagram and Pinterest pages! (https://www.instagram.com/todayshomeowner/ and https://www.pinterest.com/todayshomeowner/pins/)

And we always appreciate when our fans tell their friends about the practical home improvement advice they receive from “Today’s Homeowner.”

Thanks so much for watching — take care!

• Lillian Schaeffer Says:
    January 25th, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Thanks for letting me know that wood beginning to rot is a sign you need to replace the door. My door has begun to have this issue, and I want our home to remain secure. Maybe it would be best to replace the door as soon as possible.

• RobertoDixon Says:
    April 19th, 2016 at 12:54 am

Great post!!!

• Zequek Estrada Says:
    March 31st, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I think I may need look more into refinishing and refurnishing. Though my door does have some issues, like wood deterioration, but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I think I’m just in the mood for change.

• jeffrey g blais Says:
    November 29th, 2015 at 8:57 am

Need to replace door sweep. door pins are spring loaded. found vidos to remove pin. Whats next, its a knuckle buster after the pins come out. found no futher info. Jeff.

• Steve Says:
    September 7th, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I want to install a 36 inch prehung to a 35 inch opening. Can I remove the double stud framing or do you have a better idea?

• Anne Says:
    April 10th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Ramona,
    I’ve done a lot of research and I would recommend a fiberglass door that is made to look like wood. This way it would continue with the look of your home but provide better insulation for hot or cool weather.

• Ramona Flanagan Says:
    December 10th, 2013 at 2:56 pm

We have a older home 1937 with a wooden entry round top door. Need to replace it, would like to do so with a square one, what are our options?

characters available