How to Repair a Broken Garden Hose

Over time even a good hose can develop a leak or break.

A garden hose that leaks is both an annoyance and a waste of water. So whether you left your hose out in freezing weather, ran over it with the lawn mower, or your dog used it as a chew toy; the good news is that repairing it can be done in about five minutes for less than $5.

Make sure you buy the correct replacement parts.

Materials Needed

To repair your garden hose, you’ll need:

• Screwdriver: Most hose repair kits have Phillips head screws, but check your kit first to be sure.

• Hose repair kit

• Hose Repair Kit: Available at hardware stores or garden centers, hose repair kits come as male or female threaded hose ends as well as a connector for fixing a leak in the middle of a hose. Kits are available for various diameter hoses in both metal and plastic. I’ve used both kinds with great results. The hose is secured to the end using a two-piece clamp or a hose clamp. If you’re not sure which thread or hose diameter you need, cut off the broken end of the hose, and take it with you to the store.
  • Utility Knife: With a new blade, or a really sharp pocket or other knife.

Irrigation Tip

Hose repair kits can come in handy when making a homemade irrigation system. Using a few repair kits and an old garden hose, I was able to make an inexpensive, customized hose network for my lawn sprinklers. By cutting the hoses to the right length and concealing them against the house and under mulch, I had a budget-friendly system that rivaled an expensive underground system!

How to Repair a Garden Hose

Step 1: Cut Hose

Using the utility knife, cut cleanly through the hose. The safest way to do this is to lay the hose on the ground, so you can apply pressure without your fingers getting in the way. The cut needs to be smooth and square, not slanted or ragged. You can simply cut off the broken part or cut the hose to any length you want.

Step 2: Insert Replacement End

Push the threaded replacement end of the hose repair kit as far as it will go into the cut end of the garden hose. Since the sleeve in the replacement end will be a tight fit, it might take a bit of effort to work the hose over the sleeve, but it’s important to make sure the sleeve goes all the way into the hose.

Step 3: Attach Clamp

Using a screwdriver, attach the clamp that came with the hose repair kit securely around the end of the garden hose. Make sure the two screws (or one screw if your kit comes with a hose clamp) are very tight, to prevent your garden hose repair from leaking.

Your newly repaired garden hose is now ready to use, and you’re back in business!

Completed garden hose repair.

Comments

13 Comments on “How to Repair a Broken Garden Hose”

• Daniel H Heslin Says:
    April 6th, 2019 at 6:20 pm

I repaired the same hose over the years with hose clamps and nubs of 3/8, or 1/2 copper. It works, but the hose clamps get snagged on everything when pulling the hose- very annoying. Great article.

Thomas Boni Says:
    February 5th, 2019 at 11:48 pm

Hi, Ed!
    What a great question! We recommend submitting questions about unique situations like yours to the Today’s Homeowner Radio Show.
    Please use this form to contact Danny Lipford, America’s Home Expert, directly: https://www.todayshomeowner.com/radio/ask-questions/
    Take care!

• Ed Poindexter Says:
    February 5th, 2019 at 5:39 pm

I appreciate your confident instructions for repairing garden hose. But frankly, over my many years of replacing male and female end fittings, and joining two pieces of hose……. no matter how hard I tighten the “clamps”, the fittings still leak. VERY frustrating! Have you found any repair fittings or kits which work easily, reliably, and every time? After all, new hoses have non-leaking fittings…it CAN be done. Thanks much, Ed P.

Thanks much

• Pattie Says:
    September 10th, 2017 at 11:39 am

I used the hose repair kit , cut the hose inserted metal into both ends tightened down the clamps and it is still spraying water!!! Should I use silicone also???

• Wendy Says:
    August 27th, 2016 at 11:33 pm

Thank you so much!
    I wasn’t able to cut the hose end off, so I purchased several styles and sizes. Once I had figured the correct size, I followed these easy instructions and had done the repair in no time-and now we have a completely useable hose. I love repairing things instead of throwing them away!

• Bob Koniption Says:
    December 12th, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I want to buy a new hose but the hoses sold here have two female ends. Does that mean every hose has to be cut and then a hose end and a male installed? The very expensive attachment has a female hose end.

It seems wrong cutting a new hose!

• Kirby Butler Says:
    September 26th, 2015 at 2:10 pm

My hose has a ridge inside the entire length of the hose. should that be cut out?

• Pat. Says:
    August 6th, 2015 at 7:33 pm

That hose repair kit only works with a 5/8″ or 3/4″ hose. How can I repair a 1/2′ soaker hose?

June 28th, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Hi Judith,
    You can buy a garden hose repair coupling to join two pieces of hose together at home and garden centers.

• Judith D. Clay Says:
    June 28th, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I need to put the two pieces of hose back together as this was one 50 foot hose.

• Christy Says:
    June 18th, 2013 at 3:26 pm

How about repairing a flat hose? Is it possible with out a special repair kit?

• mich Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 1:52 pm

How do I figure out what size to get I see there are 1/2 5/8 and 3/4 sizes..

• sergio Says:
    July 1st, 2012 at 1:13 pm

hey do you know the name of the kit by any chance?

characters available