How to Repair a Stuck Handle on a Toilet
The flusher handle on my toilet stays down and won’t come back up. How can I fix it? -Dee
There’s a small tab on the inside of the handle mechanism that acts as a stop to hold the handle in the upright position. If the tab is worn or broken, the toilet handle won’t stay up.
To fix a toilet handle that won’t come back up when flushed, you’ll need to replace the handle. If you can’t find a handle that fits, you might have to replace the entire handle mechanism.
Different makes and models of toilets vary on how to do this, but generally you will need to:
- Remove the lid from the tank.
- Unhook the chain from the handle arm.
- Unscrew the nut inside the tank that holds the handle mechanism.
- Pull the handle mechanism out of the tank.
- Unscrew the handle from the handle mechanism and replace it, or replace the entire handle mechanism.
- Slide the handle mechanism back in the tank.
- Screw the nut back on the handle mechanism from inside the tank.
- Reattach the chain to the handle mechanism.
- Flush the toilet to see if it works okay.
- Put the lid back on the tank.
Good luck with your project,
You May Also Like:
|How to Replace a Toilet Flapper Valve||How to Drain a Toilet||Fixing a Running Toilet||How to Repair a Leaking Cut-Off Valve|