January Home Maintenance To-Do List
By: Danny Lipford
To-Do #3: Clean and Organize Closets
The New Year is a perfect time to organize your home, and why not start with your closets? Over the course of the year, closets get full of all sorts of stuff that may or may not belong there.
Since it’s too cold to do much outside, take advantage of a day stuck indoors to organize and clean your closets, and perhaps add some new shelving or other storage organizers while you’re at it. Follow these steps:
- Inspect Closet: Examine your closet and determine what’s working and what’s not. Is there enough hanging room? Are shoes overrunning their space? Do you have belongings in the floor that have no place to go?
- Clear Out Closet: Next, remove everything from the closet – yes, everything!
- Purge Unused Items: Sort clothing, shoes, and accessories, and set aside unneeded items to donate. A good rule of thumb is, if you haven’t used it in a year, it’s time to go.
- Clean Closet: Give the inside of the closet a good cleaning, and possibly a fresh paint job.
- Update Closet: Examine the closet to see if you can make better use of the space. You can dramatically increase storage space with shelving, hanger bars, baskets, and bins that are tailored to suit your needs. For more information about DIY closet solutions, check out our video on How To Install a Track Storage System In Your Closet.
- Fill Closet: Finally, put the remaining belongings back into your clean, neat closet.
You May Also Like:
|Tip for Cleaning Under the Refrigerator||In Memory of Don Zeman||Why You Should Choose a Metal Roof||Ask Danny Your Home Improvement Questi...|