November Home Maintenance To-Do List

Squirting powdered graphite in a deadbolt door lock to lubricate it.

Squirting powdered graphite in a deadbolt door lock to lubricate it.

To-Do #4: Lubricate Door Locks

When you’re busy and on the go during the holidays, sticky door locks can really slow you down. Fortunately, the solution is quick and easy.

Pick up a small tube or bottle of graphite at your home center or hardware store, making sure to choose one with a narrow tip for easy application. Graphite is a dry powder, which makes it the perfect lubricant for door locks, since it doesn’t attract dust or dirt.

Put down a piece of newspaper or plastic to protect the floor under the door lock, and squirt a small amount of powdered graphite into the keyhole. Insert the key and turn it a few times to distribute the lubricant throughout the lock mechanism, and you’re done!

Watch our video on How to Fix a Sticky Door Lock to find out more.

« Previous Page     Next Page »

Comments

12 Comments on “November Home Maintenance To-Do List”

• Donna Burati Says:
    November 3rd, 2016 at 3:31 pm

I have had several plumbers tell me ice sharpens blades on garbage disposals. Cleans too.

• Andrea Says:
    November 3rd, 2014 at 6:24 pm

This is actually a really good list! Very helpful, thank you. I always have done an old school trick I learned from my mother, which is put half a lemon in the garbage disposal and turn it on. It makes it smell great the whole day:).

• Peggy Says:
    November 1st, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I’ve used this for unclogging the disposal when necessary, but never thought of refreshing or cleaning it with this method. Thanks

• Papa Says:
    November 1st, 2014 at 11:45 am

Awesome list Danny. I’m going to get started on it today!

November 1st, 2014 at 11:57 am

Hi Robert,
    Thanks for the kind words!

• Robert W. Huffman Says:
    November 1st, 2014 at 10:23 am

Been a homeowner in the same home for 43 years now & and your advice is very helpful. Thank you.

• Terry Auman Says:
    November 1st, 2014 at 9:54 am

Many years of satisfied service. Thank you all.

November 1st, 2014 at 11:56 am

Pat,
    I can top that, we had a squirrel that gnawed on the aluminum threshold on our front door!

• Pat Landry Says:
    November 1st, 2014 at 9:49 am

Have you ever seen a squirrel eat wood framing on a home? I have one eating the decorative trim around my front door near the entrance. I filled in the hole he chewed last year but he’s returned again this year to eat the same area again. We’ve tried pepper sprays and preparations put on the wood. Help! Why is he eating the wood?

February 1st, 2014 at 8:00 am

Teresa,
    Glad to hear it!

• Teresa Says:
    January 31st, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Great show, I watch it every Saturday morning!!!

• Sara in Abilene Says:
    December 1st, 2013 at 8:43 am

Love your show and website!!

Please see what you can do about fixing the website, so that when you select a video, it doesn’t take you back to the first set of videos to select.

Keep up the great work. I’ve actually taken care of somethings around the house on my own.

Thanks,