Homefront Radio Show for August 22, 2009Hour 1 | Download (Right Click, Save As...)
Hour 2 | Download (Right Click, Save As...)
Here are some of the highlights from the August 22, 2009, Homefront with Danny Lipford radio show.
Guests on This Week’s Show:
Master plumber, author, and celebrity spokesperson, Ed Del Grande, was our guest in the first hour of the show. He discussed the importance of replacing old 3.5 to 5 gallon toilets with water-saving models. You can find plenty of information on high performance toilets at the Kohler website.
Our guest in the second hour was Duane Hallowell, the president and CEO of Hallowell International Heating and Cooling Systems. Sustainable Industries magazine just named Hallowell’s Acadia System one of its “2009 Top 10 Green Building Products.” The Acadia Heating and Cooling System is a revolutionary new heat pump that operates with amazing efficiency, even in northern climates where temperatures reach 30 degrees below zero (F). You can find more information about the Acadia system at gotohallowell.com.
Questions came up about the ratio of vinegar to water when it comes to making your own cleaning solution. While opinions vary, we usually recommend one part vinegar to three parts water for most cleaning solutions. However, for heavy grime areas, you can make a 50/50 mixture.
Innovative New Product
Moving a toilet for remodeling and don’t like to think about that dirty water spilling out all over the place? Allen’s Amazing Innovation this week was LiquiLock. This packet of powder, when dropped into the toilet bowl, will congeal the remaining water within minutes. The toilet can then be moved with no mess. Once repairs are complete, replace the toilet, turn the water back on and the gel will break down enough to be simply flushed away.
Easy Budget Bathroom Beauty Tips
Throughout the show, Danny and Allen shared some useful tips for sprucing up your bathroom without spending a fortune.
- A new color on the walls can make a huge difference. Be sure to choose a paint that is resistant to moisture and a color that will complement the existing décor.
- Install porcelain tile flooring. For smaller bathrooms, this is a great way to give the room new life, and it’s easily a project that can be done yourself.
- Replace your shower curtain with a taller one that reaches from floor to ceiling. This can create a grand illusion in smaller bathrooms with 8’ ceilings. Consider replacing the shower rod and curtain hangers, too.
- Replace your old, dated, mirrored medicine cabinet with a sleek, new model. If you have a wood cabinet, paint it.
- Add a frame around a plate glass mirror over the sink, or try a new look with an oval mirror.
- Change the hardware on your vanity cabinets. Ceramic pulls with hand-painted designs can add subtle splashes of color that complement the rest of the décor.
- Replace light fixtures that may be showing signs of moisture damage. Choose something like a multi-bulb sconce design and install compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Decorate with other colorful accessories, such as freestanding toothbrush holders, soap dispensers and drinking glasses. Find items that either match or complement the color of your towels.
Questions Answered on This Week’s Show:
How can you paint over silicone caulking?
Due to its chemical nature, paint does not readily adhere to silicone caulking, so your best bet is to remove it and replace it with a paintable latex caulking. Other ideas that may help if you can’t remove the silicone caulking:
- Apply a layer of paintable caulking over the silicone caulking, allow it to dry thoroughly, then paint over the new caulking.
- Clean silicone caulking with denatured alcohol and allow it to dry, then apply two coats of shellac based primer followed by a topcoat of paint.
Is there a white roof coating I can put on my trailer?
Elastomeric coatings are thick liquid coatings that are applied to flat or low sloped roofs. They remain elastic after drying so they can expand and contract with changes in temperature.
Kool Seal is an elastomeric roof coating that comes in either white, black, or gray. Silver colored aluminum roof coatings are also available. Both can be used on metal or asphalt roofs. To apply:
- Scape off any peeling or loose coating.
- Clean the surface by scrubbing with TSP and water.
- Kill any mildew with bleach.
- Rinse the roof off with a hose and allow it to dry thoroughly.
- Repair any existing leaks.
- Apply Kool-Lastik Primer on asphalt based roofing or on roofs with standing water.
- Apply the roof coating with a roof brush or long nap roller.
- Allow 4-6 hours drying time before applying a second coat at right angles to the first.
Can I tile over an old wooden table that I use outside on the deck?
Screw cement backer board to the wood top first, then apply the tile to the backer board using thin-set adhesive. If you have freezing weather where you live, use porcelain rather than ceramic tile, since they are less porous and won’t crack as easily.
You May Also Like:
|Danny to Appear on The Early Show and ...||Hanging Out on Homefront||Danny's Advice on the Radio||In Memory of Don Zeman|