Homefront Radio Show for October 17, 2009Hour 1 | Download (Right Click, Save As...)
Hour 2 | Download (Right Click, Save As...)
Here are some of the highlights from the October 17, 2009, Homefront with Danny Lipford radio show.
Guests on This Week’s Show
Last year’s JELD-WEN Windows & Doors Utility Bill Bailout contest winners, Greg and Jennifer Quimby, talk about the difference their new windows and doors have made, how much savings they’ve seen in heating oil, and their kids’ reactions to the change.
Atlanta master electrician, Eric Hammett, shared some insight into some common electrical concerns with overloaded circuits and how to avoid them.
Kitchen Safety Tips
With the holidays rapidly approaching, more people will be spending time in the kitchen. Danny and Allen share a few commonsense kitchen safety tips:
- The best fire extinguisher for a kitchen is a dry chemical ABC type which is rated for all fires.
- To prevent grease fires, wash the stove vent hood filter in the dishwasher from time to time.
- Always turn the handles of pots on the stove inward to prevent dangerous spills.
- Be sure to turn stove burners off when a pot is removed.
- Make sure your hands are dry hands before handling electric appliances.
- Unplug toasters when not in use and mixers before you take out the beaters.
- Be careful when reaching into hot ovens that your hand doesn’t accidently brush against the heating elements.
- Install a stove tip guard device to prevent the stove from turning over if a child climbs up on the open oven door.
- To prevent food-borne illness, wash all utensils, surfaces where food is prepared, and your hands thoroughly.
- Cutting boards and countertops (including granite) can act harbor harmful bacteria. To kill them, mix up a weak solution of bleach and water (1 tablespoon bleach to a pint of water) and soak the surface with it for several minutes, then rinse and wash thoroughly.
- To reduce the risk of cutting yourself, don’t soak sharp object in the sink.
Questions Answered on This Week’s Show
If you missed this show, be sure to listen online for answers to questions from many of our listeners, including:
- Dehumidifiers in the basement.
- Cracked grout on flooring.
- Ceiling stains.
- Algae on vinyl siding.
- Cutting porcelain tile.
- Pros and cons of Insulated Concrete Form (ICF) building techniques.
- A slick trick for getting paint off door hinges without chemicals.
- Removing attic insulation.
You May Also Like:
|Hanging Out on Homefront||Danny's Advice on the Radio||In Memory of Don Zeman||Danny to Appear on The Early Show and ...|