Fireworks Safety

Play | Download (Right Click, Save As...)

If you plan to be hands on with your fireworks this year, instead just watching someone else’s display, you need to keep these common sense safety tips in mind.

First, There should always be an adult present when fireworks are in use. Next, have a garden hose or a bucket of water handy, and light only one firework at a time.

Never try to re-light a dud. If it fails to fire, wait a few minutes, then soak it in a bucket of water. Fireworks should be stored in a cool, dry place or disposed of by soaking them in water and then placing them in a trash can.

Of course you should never throw or point fireworks at others, and don’t shoot them in metal or glass containers.

Finally, once you light the fireworks, immediately back away to a safe distance and be sure to always wear eye protection.

Have a safe celebration!

Comments

No Comments on “Fireworks Safety”

• Terry Fuller Says:
    November 25th, 2007 at 8:27 pm

Look the Show. You make sense of the projects on the show and give get advise.
    Terry Fuller

• Brian Corban Says:
    October 3rd, 2007 at 5:43 pm

I recently had a company called Sealmaxx come out to my house and give me an estimate on cleaning and sealing my wood deck. It was considerably more expensive than conventional staining, but they assured me that this sealant would penetrate and seal my wood from the inside out. They guarantee no more deterioation for 25 years. The salesman was quite informative and helpful in answering my questions, but I would still like another professional opinion about this type of process. I would like any constructive comments that people would like to share.

Brian Corban

• Mary R. Says:
    September 2nd, 2007 at 11:07 am

On the weather channel 2 +/- weeks ago, you talked about a deck stain/sealer that you applied, then brushed “into the wood”. I have not found that product in this website so far. Can you let me know what it is as I would like to use it on my deck. The weather is getting cooler for me to work outside now.
    Thanks so much,
    Mary Rodgers

Ben Says:
    August 1st, 2007 at 1:40 pm

Marcy,
    A deck takes a lot of abuse from the elements, and while there are special paints available for porches and decks, they can peel and crack after a few years. Both water and oil based products are available, though if you use oil based, be sure the deck is thoroughly dry since trapped moisture tends to pop the finish off. This is especially true for newly installed pressure treated wood since it often comes saturated with the chemical used to treat it. If you decide to use paint, you can make the surface less slippery by adding a small amount of clean dry sand or an additive made for that purpose. This is especially important on steps which can become a real hazard when wet.

• Marcy K Says:
    July 29th, 2007 at 3:50 pm

Instead of a stain for the deck can I paint it? I am also going to do my shutters and lattics the same color

• Terri Z Says:
    May 8th, 2007 at 11:41 am

Thank you. I found the information on this page very helpful, and I look forward to having a better looking deck this year!

• Leo Brown Says:
    April 8th, 2007 at 1:34 pm

This was very helpful. I am planning on cleaning my deck, and putting on a stain.
    Thanks for your help.