Cold Crunch Utility Bills

Play | Download (Right Click, Save As...)

So you’ve filled in the gaps and cracks around the home to block the winter drafts, and you’ve improved the attic and crawlspace insulation as best you can; but the winter utility bills are still putting you in a bind. Well, you’ve improved your home and made it more energy efficient, but you may still have to improve your behavior.

One thing you can do is lower your thermostat a few degrees and put on a few more clothes. You’d be amazed at how much you can drive your energy bills down by doing these simple things.

While you’re at it, lower the water heater thermostat to 120 degrees. The water heater is the number number three household energy user, so doing this can make a big difference.

Then, put the family on a time limit on showers. A hot shower is great on a cold morning, but the longer it lasts, the higher the bills will go.

Comments

No Comments on “Cold Crunch Utility Bills”

• Tumusiime Edison Says:
    October 23rd, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Thank you very much . am in Uganda East Africa, BW is common here. Is it true that applying wood charcoal in holes during planting can help to prevent BW in tomatoes?. if so how can one apply it. thank you

• esther Says:
    February 10th, 2016 at 2:45 am

Please answer asap… I planted tomatoes last year in a greenhouse but then b.wilt took control. I decided to plant legumes just to crop rotate I want to put back tomatoes please tell me the measures I should take to avoid encounter with bacterial wilt again.

• Samuel Iyanda Says:
    February 9th, 2016 at 8:23 am

In addition, some farmers also always conclude case on bacteria wilt when they see plant wilting and the case may be over irrigation. So other factors too should be examine before concluding on bacteria wilt

• Paul Rasmussen Says:
    October 25th, 2015 at 8:12 pm

I grow tomatoes in a hydroponic system–pelite but still get B/W even in brand new material. Any suggestion.

• John Brannon Says:
    October 9th, 2015 at 2:07 pm

My soil was sandy and well composted and well drained, there was a big crop of tomatoes full of green large tomatoes in the afternoon.The next day when I returned from work the whole crop was dead from wilt. We have relatively high humidity here on the East Coast of South Africa, about 75 to 80% in Summer, Temperature 26 to 28 Centigrade.

• Susan Gold Says:
    July 29th, 2015 at 4:52 pm

My tomato plants got a disease that not only turned the leaves black and powdery but the few green tomatoes never grew and no more tomatoes were ever on plant. What disease did my tomato plants have? How can I prevent it from returning next summer.

• WAGA WYCLIFF Says:
    April 23rd, 2015 at 1:40 pm

SIR, IS THERE A CHEMICAL THAT CAN HELP US CONTROL BACTERIAL WILT?

• trisha Says:
    July 14th, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Can you eat veggies from a garden that may have bacteria wilt?

• Larry Harrison Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Sir, I have had trouble with tomato plant wilting and dying I am sure that it is bacterial wilt, I have baked garden for a year with black plastic still got me this year whats my best move plant in conainers, any plant resistant to it, any thing to mix in soil? Thanks, Larry

Julie Day Says:
    June 13th, 2010 at 11:39 am

Dinneli, mildew is caused by moisture and a lack of air circulation. Bathrooms are always damp, and things like towels and hanging clothes hold moisture and make the problem worse. Try these tips:

– Install an exhaust fan, if you don’t already have one. Run it while you’re in the shower and also when washing clothes, to remove steam. If you can’t install a fan, you need to open windows, or open the door and run a floor fan to get air circulating after showering.

– Change your bath towels, washcloths, and rugs at least once a week. Even with the best of conditions, damp towels will mildew after a week or so.

– Remove hand-washed clothing from the bathroom as soon as it’s dry. If you leave it in the bathroom, it will get damp again every time you shower, and it will mildew.

– Clean up the existing mildew with bleach, soap, and water.

• Dinneli Says:
    June 12th, 2010 at 11:38 am

Mr. Lipford,

I have a question about my bathroom. I have noticed that my towels get mildew on them after a few weeks. I was wondering what might be causing. I have asked several plumbers about the problem and none of them seem to know what could be causing this. It happens not just on the towels, It happens on other closthing also that I hand was and leave it to dry. I will really appreciate it if you could help me with problem. I would really like it if someone can make a house call.

Thanks you very much.