Homefront Radio Show for September 17, 2011
By: Danny LipfordHour 1 | Download (Right Click, Save As...)
Hour 2 | Download (Right Click, Save As...)
Here are some of the highlights from the September 17, 2011, Homefront with Danny Lipford radio show.
Guests on This Week’s Show
Allen had a surprise guest this week when national newsman, Harry Smith, stopped in to talk about his favorite segments he’s done with Danny over the years.
Danny and Allen offer some practical advice for upcoming autumn prep when it comes to your roof, gutters, and irrigation system.
Gutter and Downspout Cleaning Tips:
- Most experts agree that gutter cleaning should be done in the early spring and early fall. While you want to make sure to clean out any excess leaves prior to the winter snows, you also don’t want to be dealing with water-soaked clothes and skin when it’s cold outside. Also, if you wait too late, you could wind up creating a sheet of ice all over your house and gutters.
- Make sure to check all the downspouts for any kind of blockage. Use a water hose or a plumber’s snake to clear any lodged debris.
Roof Repair Tips:
- Roof prep begins with staying off of it! The more traffic on the roof, the more likely a leak can develop. Make visual inspections from a ladder or by using binoculars from the ground.
- Take advantage of the attic to inspect the underside of your roof decking for any potential signs of leaks.
- Make sure you have adequate ventilation. Unblock any soffit vents covered with insulation. Proper attic ventilation is the key to avoiding ice dams.
Irrigation System Winter Prep Tips:
- Turn off the water to the irrigation system at the main valve.
- Set the automatic irrigation controller to the “rain” setting.
- Turn on each of the valves to release pressure in the pipes.
- Drain all of the water out of any irrigation components that might freeze.
Great Giveaway of the Week
To be eligible for this week’s Great Giveaway, call the Homefront Hotline at 800-946-4420 or go to Ask Questions on our website and ask your home improvement question.
Callers all this month are qualified for the drawing to receive the Pinnacle Cryogenic 5-piece Miniature Set of turning tools.
Questions Answered on This Week’s Show
- Installing a thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) flat roof.
- Venting an attic with a hip roof and limited ridge.
- How to paint a vinyl clad sliding door.
- Removing a glued, oriented strand board (OSB) subfloor.
- Installing tile on a floor with widely spaced joists.
- How to stop skunks from digging under a house!
- Using exterior grade plywood as a subfloor under tile.
- Where to start on a whole house remodel.
- How to clean a basement floor that flooded.
- Flashing a shed roof with vertical barn board siding.
- Installing a larger than recommended bathroom vent fan.
You May Also Like:
|Hanging Out on Homefront||In Memory of Don Zeman||Danny's Advice on the Radio||DJ Danny with Allen of the Airwaves!|