Homefront Radio Show for November 19, 2011Hour 1 | Download (Right Click, Save As...)
Hour 2 | Download (Right Click, Save As...)
Here are some of the highlights from the November 19, 2011, Homefront with Danny Lipford radio show.
Guests on This Week’s Show
- Tracy Riel, designer with Merillat Cabinets, shared tips to bring to the table when designing your new kitchen.
- Steve Carey of CertaPro Painters talked about painting projects before the holidays.
- Craig Godsey of Woodcraft gave a few tool ideas when setting up a first time workshop.
Danny and Allen discussed fireplace safety. Tips include:
- Hire a chimney sweep to clean your chimney.
- Inspect chimney for loose bricks, cracks, or missing mortar in joints.
- Inspect chimney cap and repair or replace if needed. Make sure the chimney cap has wire mesh or hardware cloth covering all sides to keep out birds and other animals.
- Burn only seasoned hardwood. Avoid green wood and softwoods, like pine, which can cause creosote to buildup in your chimney.
- Keep fire small. Large fires that are too hot may cause cracks in firebox or chimney.
- Learn how to properly build a fire by putting logs near the rear of the firebox. Use kindling and newspaper to start the fire, rather than lighter fluid or other flammable liquids.
- Use a fire screen or glass doors to prevent sparks and embers from popping out onto the floor or furnishings.
Amy suggests a great gift idea for the snorers in the family, the robotic bear pillow that “gently” mauls your face if you start to snore!
Great Giveaway of the Week
This week two lucky listeners will win a Husky 45-Piece Stubby Combination Wrench and Socket Set from The Home Depot.
In addition, during the month of November we will give away a Pinnacle Precision Square and Pinnacle 12” Woodworking Rule from Woodcraft.
To be eligible for this week’s Great Giveaway and our November Woodcraft Giveaway, call the Homefront Hotline at 800-946-4420 or go to Ask Questions on our website and ask your home improvement question.
Questions Answered on This Week’s Show
- How to seal seams between mirror panels.
- Health hazards of building a cabin with pressure treated wood.
- How to keep a screened porch warm during the winter.
- What to look for in a portable fireplace.
- How to hang track lighting on a suspended ceiling.
- The best materials to use for cabinets in a garage.
- How to remove lap marks from garage floor epoxy coating.
- Keeping rainwater out of a storage area under a deck. (see answer)
- Whether to remove old wood siding before residing with vinyl.
- What is the best weather to pour an asphalt driveway.
- Choosing a roofing color for your home from samples. (see answer)
- How to replace a wooden floor in a utility trailer.
- Installing a velvet ceiling in a basement home theater.
- Gluing a rug to a concrete basement floor.
You May Also Like:
|Hanging Out on Homefront||In Memory of Don Zeman||Danny's Advice on the Radio||Danny to Appear on The Early Show and ...|