Homefront Radio Show for September 15, 2012Hour 1 | Download (Right Click, Save As...)
Hour 2 | Download (Right Click, Save As...)
Here are some of the highlights from the September 15, 2012, Homefront with Danny Lipford radio show.
This week Danny and Allen shared tips on how to prepare your roof, gutters, and irrigation system for autumn.
- From the ground, use binoculars to make a visual inspection of the roof. Look for any loose, missing, curled or damaged shingles.
- Carefully inspect all flashing. Tack down any loose flashing and re-seal with proper roof sealant.
- Look for any pest damage or uncover openings to vents, sidewalls, gables, etc. to prevent squirrels, raccoons, or other pests from entering your home or attic.
- Remove any tree limbs and cut back shrubs that are encroaching on or near your roof.
- Thoroughly clean gutters.
- Flush or snake out downspouts.
- Check all seams and repair gutter joints that leak.
- Use hose to perform a water test to check for leaks.
- Close off water supply to irrigation system.
- Drain irrigation lines to remove as much water as possible.
- Use an air compressor to blow any remaining water out of lines.
- If you have automatic controls, set them to “rain” so you don’t have to re-program it in the spring.
Questions Answered on This Week’s Show
- Problem with tile coming loose on a new tile floor.
- How to wire a light switch to control an electrical outlet.
- Cause of small holes in yard. (see answer)
- How hard is it to replace windows on a brick house.
- How to remove marks from cups on a wood table.
- Problem with weeds in a newly seeded yard.
- How to reduce echo in a church meeting hall.
- Repairing a crumbling house foundation.
- How to repair holes to match textured drywall. (see answer)
- Whether to cover attic gable vents when adding a power vent fan.
- How to go about leveling an uneven house foundation.
- Can leaks in HVAC ductwork affect indoor air quality.
- How much should an attic exhaust fan lower the attic temperature.
- Does ivy growing on brick walls cause damage. (see answer)
- How to prevent mold on a bird seed wreath.
- Installing tile over a linoleum floor without cement backer board.
- Removing dried carpet adhesive from a concrete slab. (see answer)
- Do you need to seal unfinished wood before painting.
- Applying a wipe on polyurethane finish over a brushed poly finish.
- How to install a ceramic tile surround on a tub so it doesn’t leak.
- Do you need to heat an unoccupied home in winter other than to prevent the pipes from freezing.
You May Also Like:
|Hanging Out on Homefront||In Memory of Don Zeman||Danny's Advice on the Radio||Danny to Appear on The Early Show and ...|