International Builders’ Show 2011
By: Danny Lipford
If there’s a new product or tool to make your home better, you’ll find it on display at the International Builder’s Show, put on every year by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).
We were on hand for this year’s show in Orlando, Florida, to give you a front row seat on the latest trends and innovations in home improvement. Here are some of the cool products we found.
Windows & Doors
- Wheat pattern obscure glass entry door insert from JELD-WEN Windows & Doors.
- Acrylic block windows from Hy-Lite.
- Hinged vented door sidelights with screens from Therma-Tru Doors.
- Sliding glass patio doors with blinds between the glass and low-profile retractable screen door from ODL.
- Pleated, accordion design retractable screen with low-profile track from Phantom Screens.
- Easy opening garage door opening screen from Breezy Living Screen Solutions.
- Sun tunnel skylights from Velux are easy to install and bring outdoor light into a room.
Kitchens & Baths
- For better cabinet access in a corner of your kitchen, consider CornerStore from Merillat with deep drawers in the center flanked by pull-out pantries on either side.
- The adjustable flushing arm for your toilet tank from Moen installs in minutes and works at any angle.
- REX SynFelt synthetic roof underlayment is stronger and lighter than felt paper as well as slip resistant.
- BoralPure concrete roof tiles contain a chemical catalyst that helps break down nitrogen oxide particles from smog.
- EnergyComplete spray foam sealant from Owens Corning seals up cracks and gaps in walls cavities to reduce air infiltration.
- Faux rustic wood beams and decorative moldings made from molded polyurethane from Superior Building Supplies.
- HardieTrim crown molding made from fiber cement from JamesHardie.
- To repair cracks in brick mortar joints or concrete, try Polyurethane Mortar Joint Sealant or Polyurethane Concrete Crack Sealant from Quikrete.
- To make sheathing a roof easier, try the Grip H Clip with a tapered nylon design for easy of use.
- If you’re looking for a DIY friendly, tile floor that doesn’t require grout, check out cliks by daltile.
- Modular stairways from Ascendings can be assembled piece by piece inside an existing building.
- To take the clutter off your deck, consider the AZEK In-Deck Storage Kit which fits flush with your deck and swings up for easy access.
- The SmartlockPro Slim GFCI outlet from Leviton makes installation in a tight electrical box easier.
- New from Broan-NuTone are ceiling fans, many of which are Energy Star rated.
- The hidden deck fastening system from CAMO is easy to use and works on both wood and composite decking.
- To keep surfaces clean, check out the home and commercial pressure washers from Generac.
- To increase the versatility of your reciprocating saw, try the Bore-Blade and Grout-Out blade from Spyder Products.
For more from IBS, check out Top 10 Picks from the 2011 International Builders’ Show.
Watch Videos from This Episode
- Innovative New Doors and Windows for Your Home
- Pleated Retractable Screen for Doors Saves Space
- DIY-Friendly Easy to Install Floating Tile Floor
- Innovative Kitchen Corner Cabinet for Your Home
- Flexible Concrete and Brick Crack Repair Caulking
Other Tips from This Episode
Simple Solutions with Joe Truini:
Reusing Latex Glove Fingers
Disposable latex gloves are great to protect your hands when painting or staining. Rather than throwing the entire glove away when you’re finished, snip any clean fingers off the glove with scissors, then use them when spreading glue or smoothing caulking.
Best New Products with Jodi Marks:
STOK Quattro Gas Grill
The Quattro stainless steel gas grill from STOK has 4-burners with interchangeable inserts for a vegetable tray, griddle, and pizza stone. The STOK Quattro is available at The Home Depot.
Thinking Green with Danny Lipford:
Recycle Ink Cartridges
Every year over 300 million toner and ink cartridges are thrown away, sending millions of pound of waste to landfills. Buying recycled ink and toner cartridges is not only good for the environment, but can cost up to 75% less than new cartridges.