Tips for a Family Friendly Kitchen
More than ever before, the kitchen is the center of family life in the home. One of my goals in renovating the 1926 Kuppersmith Project home was to make the kitchen as family friendly as possible by turning it into the focal point of activity in the home. This is in stark contrast to isolating the kitchen from the rest of the house, as is often the case in older homes.
Family Friendly Kitchen Design
To accomplish this dramatic transformation of the old, antiquated kitchen, I made these changes:
- Doubled the size of the existing kitchen.
- Removed the wall separating the kitchen from the family room.
- Eliminated the door to the dining room and enlarged the opening.
Family Friendly Kitchen Amenities
To take advantage of the larger space in the new kitchen, and fill the needs of an active family, I added:
- Large center island with granite countertop and seating for five.
- Window seat and drop zone with cabinets for both storage and display.
- Kitchen cabinets with lots of innovative storage space and a separate coffee bar.
- Five burner range with decorative glass tile backsplash and chimney style, vented range hood.
- Large stainless steel double sink and eco-performance faucet.
Family Friendly Kitchen Cabinet Details
The kitchen cabinets I installed have lots of useful features for a family friendly kitchen, including:
- Built-in cutting board with knife storage that fits inside a drawer.
- Pull out waste basket to allow easy access to the trash container.
- Water resistant sink base cabinet, which is made from a polymer material to prevent damage to the cabinet under the sink from plumbing leaks or spills.
- Multi-storage pantry with door storage and interior swinging storage racks.
Security for a Family Friendly House
Security and ease of access is a high priority in any home, but especially those with children. To keep the Kuppersmith house safe, I installed a combination door lock to allow for easy keyless entry.
The LiNK system also connects wirelessly to the Internet, allowing you to change the entry lock combination remotely, as well as lock and unlock the door using a secure connection on a computer or smartphone.
Other accessories available with the Schlage LiNK system include a lighting module that can turn lights in your home on and off, video cameras to allow you to monitor your home remotely, and even controls for the thermostat on the heating and cooling system.
All of these various accessories can all be accessed from your computer or smartphone.
You May Also Like:
|Choosing Kitchen Countertops||Kitchen Lighting Options||Adding Molding to Cabinet Doors||Tips for Painting Kitchen Cabinets|