Full Episodes of Today's Homeowner with Danny Lipford
Advantages of Synthetic Building Materials for Your Home
By: Danny Lipford
Watch this video to find out how certain synthetic building products for your home can perform better and cost less than natural materials, including:
- Polymer Roofing: Faux cedar shake and slate roofing, like those made by DaVinci Roofscapes, are wind, fire, and impact resistant.
- Siding: Vinyl siding, such as Exterior Portfolio from Crane, and fiber cement siding can last for many years.
- Fencing: Vinyl fencing requires little maintenance.
- Decking: Composite decking and railings, like those from Fiberon, are a durable, low-maintenance alternative to wood.
- Doors: Entry doors made from fiberglass require little maintenance compared to wood doors.
- Moldings: Exterior moldings and spindles, like those from Fypon, can be made from several materials, including urethane and PVC plastic.
- Translucent Blocks: To let light in a room, consider using acrylic blocks, such as those from US Block Windows, which are lighter, provide more insulation, and resist breaking better than glass.
- Countertops: There are a number of synthetic countertop materials available, including engineered quartz from DeNova—as well as solid surface materials and realistic looking plastic laminate products, such as Formica 180fx.
- Marbleizing: This faux painting technique uses sponges to give any surface the look of natural stone.
- Graining: A faux painting method that can give inexpensive wood and other surface the look of everything from mahogany to rosewood to antique heart pine.
Read episode article to find out more.
- How to Choose a Roof for Your Home (article)
- Low Maintenance Vinyl and Fiber Cement Siding (video)
- Fiber Cement Siding: A Durable Alternative for Your Home (article)
- Composite and Wood Decking for Your Home (video)
- Upgrading and Replacing Doors on Your Home (article)
- Choosing Molding for Your Home (article)
- How to Choose a Countertop for Your Kitchen (video)
Videos You May Like
|International Builders’ Show 2011||Coconut Tile Eco-Friendly Building Mat...||Solid PVC Building Materials for Your ...||Eco-Friendly Green Building Websites f...|