Cutting Plywood Sheets with a Circular Saw
By: Joe Truini
Cutting large sheet goods, like plywood, doesn’t have to be difficult if you use the right approach. Here’s how to go about it:
- Start by supporting the sheet well. You can use a large table without damaging it if you elevate the sheet above it with blocks of wood (2x4s work great).
- Space the 2×4 blocks so that both sides of your cut are supported, and be sure the depth of your saw blade is set shallow enough not to cut the table below.
- Clamp a straight edge to the sheet to guide your saw.
- Set the saw at the cut line and mark on the sheet along the edge of the shoe.
- Transfer this measurement to the other end of the line, and clamp your straight edge along these two marks.
- Then all you have to do is guide the saw along the straight edge to make your cut.