DIY Sliding Recycling Bin Hanger
By: Joe Truini
Keep recycling bins organized and out of the way by making rails for the bins to ride in mounted under a cabinet or workbench. Here’s how to go about it:
- Make two L-shaped cleats by screwing and gluing a 1×2 and 1×3 together.
- Attach the cleats to the bottom of a countertop or workbench with screws so the lip on the recycling bin will fit into them.
- Slide the recycling bin in the cleats, and pull the bin out as needed.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Get Onboard the Recycle Cycle (article)
- DIY Recycling Bin Wall Hanger (video)
- Using Separate Bins Can Make Recycling Easier (video)
- Benefits of a Compost Bin in Your Kitchen (video)
Joe Truini: To encourage homeowners to recycle, most communities are now providing these plastic storage bins. Now, these are great for keeping your bottles and cans, but where do you store them so they’re out of the way and out of sight? Well, here’s one idea.
I took a one by two and screwed it to a one by three to form this little L-shaped cleat. Then I screwed it to the underside of this countertop here in the garage. Now, the dimension between the cleats is just slightly wider than the container itself, allowing the overhanging lip to rest right on the cleat. Now, when you need to put in some recycling, you slide it in, it’s out of the way and out of sight.
The other nice thing is you can use the space below for other storage. In this case I have some shoes and boots back there. And here I have room to put two or three more bins. So, I have to make up a couple more cleats. That allows you to separate the plastic from the bottles and the cans and even the newspapers.
Videos You May Like
|How Using Separate Bins Can Make Recyc...||DIY Recycling Chute||Recycling Bin Wall Hanger||How to Build Chutes for Recycling|