Simple Solutions

Filling Joints in Patio Pavers

By: Joe Truini

The joints between patio pavers are usually filled with sand, which has a tendency to wash out of the cracks over time. PowerLoc Jointing Sand from Quikrete is a polymer based product that prevents it from washing out or cracking. Simply pour it out and sweep the jointing sand diagonally into the cracks with a push broom. To lock it in place, mist the surface down with water from a sprayer, going over it three times within an hour, and let dry.

Comments

21 Comments on “Filling Joints in Patio Pavers”

Thomas Boni Says:
    July 7th, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Hi, Al,

Please include a photo with your post so we can see the exact situation.

Thanks!

• al smith Says:
    July 3rd, 2018 at 5:49 am

I have a stone walkway with much larger gapes then patio blocks will this material work and hold in larger gapes?

Thomas Boni Says:
    July 7th, 2018 at 11:33 pm

Hi, Betty,

You can spread a thin layer of sand over the patio. Next, use a push broom to ensure the sand enters any gaps between the pavers.

Refer to the bag of sand for proper measurements.

Good luck!

• Betty Laughlin Says:
    June 27th, 2018 at 4:54 pm

What material needs to be in between paver bricks on a patio?

How much for a patio that is apprixametly 12 ft by 16 feet?

Thomas Boni Says:
    July 8th, 2018 at 3:48 pm

Hi, Malcolm,

Danny says, “You may try using a clear masonry sealer applied with a pump-up garden sprayer after the area has been thoroughly cleaned and dry. This should help tremendously in blocking the growth of the weeds. Plus it will look a heck of a lot better.

Good luck!”

• Malcolm Wright Says:
    June 21st, 2018 at 7:49 am

We have a very large expanse of Block paved drive way and areas around the garden , as we getting older it is difficult to keep the weeds down, we scrape and spray , but its very hard work. Once a year we have it jett washed and the weeds go with the machinery that is used. But although it looks good initially within a couple of months we are weeding again. The spaces are small between the block paving like you photo. We were wondering if there is a permanent solution for example a spray on cover or see through painted cover that will help

Your advice would be appreciated

Malcolm Wright

Harrogate HG14SQ

Thomas Boni Says:
    July 26th, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Hi, Reimer!
    We recommend avoiding limestone screenings. Anything with too fine particles can entrap water and other elements, which can affect the pavers.
    Loose sand should be enough to set and secure the pavers. We recommend visiting your local The Home Depot for tailored advice.
    Thanks for your question.

• Reimer Katie Says:
    June 1st, 2018 at 1:41 pm

We have put in patio stones and filled the (approx. ¼”) gaps with screening. Do we need to add the sand to this as well?
    Thanks

• glenn harbeckre Says:
    April 6th, 2018 at 9:00 am

resealing 1.250 thick pavers over concrete drive way ,gap between pavers is only 1/8 to1/16 ,what type sand should i use?

• Mattie Says:
    January 2nd, 2018 at 12:54 pm

I now have ground cover between my stone patio blocks . they cause many weeds and are difficult for me to maintain. I would like an attractive
    filler. Perhaps pebbles or small stones in a base .

Mattie

• Scott Williams Says:
    December 23rd, 2017 at 1:01 pm

I want to use weather proof caulk, not paver sand. what is the best type?

• Paulette Leroux Says:
    September 24th, 2017 at 3:17 pm

I had a new Permacon walkway and small part of my driveway install this summer. Should I put something on to preserve the stones and the joints made of polymeric sand.

• nelson kenner Says:
    June 26th, 2017 at 7:24 pm

My contractor told me he would fill 1/4 in gaps between 3-7″ ish patio pavers, but now he is using portland cement and telling me he will put some Paver Link on top of that. In reality we know what he’s doing. I can actually live with this if it isn’t a problem. I do plan to use a power washer every few years. I would REALLY appreciate some help here. Nelson

• Dick Morasch Says:
    June 3rd, 2017 at 3:44 pm

I have a 12 x 12 ft patio made up of stone blocks. The blocks are positioned randomly and have a gap of approx 2 inches between the adjoining stones. Currently the gaps are filled with stone dust but it is messy. I want to replace the dust with something more permanent. Will this product work or it there something better?

• Judy Wilkinson Says:
    May 11th, 2017 at 5:00 pm

I have the same question as Tom in San Jose. I have patio flagstones with wide gaps of about 1/2 inch. Also, does it come in darker colors?

• John Says:
    April 4th, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Can I use mortar to fill in the gaps between my pavers instead of sand. Thanking you in advance for your reply and assistance

• Geoff Magee Says:
    November 25th, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Hi. I just paved my back patio.the gaps if filled with sand may blow away when I power clean as we have lots of leaves and dust. What is the best filler. Thanks.
    Geoff

• Lee Hall Says:
    August 12th, 2016 at 10:37 am

Hello. I have moved into a house where they just laid the concrete pavers on dirt, so every time it rains, it’s a mess! Dirt splashes up on everything. There are also some concrete slabs that have wood spacers between with dirt on each side. If I power wash out as much of the dirt as I can, could I then apply this sand? Most of the pavers have only about a fourth of an inch between them. Between the pavers and the concrete is about an inch of dirt. Same with where the pavers connect to the house. It creates so much dirt as it is and drives me crazy! Thank you!

• Bill Clark Says:
    June 24th, 2016 at 6:48 am

Is it okay to pressure wash or otherwise clean out the cracks in my patio stone before filling with the polymeric sand as over the years it has filled up with debris, weeds, etc.

• Sally White Says:
    April 3rd, 2015 at 10:13 am

I would like to know how you answered, Tom Jennings, concerning the gaps between his flagstone , I also want to fill gaps between 12 x 12 inch pavers, the sweep in kind just washes out and does not harden. Please help

• tom jennings Says:
    October 13th, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I watched your video filling gaps between pavers using jointing sand. Looks great but the gaps between your pavers were very narrow and the gaps between my patio flagstones are very wide and I am wondering if jointing sand would work on wide gaps or if I should use a mortar. Wish I could attach the picture, but right now we have small rocks filling the gaps, which are messy. If I should use mortar can you tell me what to get and how to use it?
    Thanks,