How to Hang Bifold Closet Doors
By: Danny Lipford
Sliding closet doors are a common feature in some older homes. They are not always the best choice, however, since they limit access to only half the closet at a time and have a tendency to come off the track at the most inopportune moment.
Replacing them with easy to open bifold doors allows full access to the closet space. Here’s how it’s done:
- Remove the old doors.
- Cut a board to cover the recessed track at the top and nail it in place.
- Measure the height and width of the opening.
- Purchase a set of doors to fit the opening. If the exact size isn’t available, buy the next larger size and plane or cut the doors to fit the opening.
- Install the track along the top of the doorway.
- Mark the location for the pivot points at the bottom of the door frame with a plumb bob.
- Align the floor brackets with the marks and attach them to the door frame.
- Insert the bottom pins in the floor brackets and the top pins in the track.
- Fine-tune the fit of the door by adjusting the pivot points at the top with a screwdriver.
- Paint or stain the doors.
- Drill holes for the knobs 36″ from the floor in the middle of the two center doors.
Videos You May Like
|Improving Closet Access||Installing Bifold Doors||How to Reverse and Rehang Bifold Doors||How to Repair Your Home|