Hiring a Designer and Remodeling Contractor for a Kitchen Renovation
By: Danny Lipford
When remodeling your kitchen, start by developing a general idea of what you would like in your new kitchen, and establish a budget you can afford. Next, refine your kitchen ideas and plan out the details with a kitchen designer before hiring a remodeling contractor to turn your dream into reality.
Kitchen Design and Layout
Working with a professional kitchen designer can make your kitchen remodeling project go a lot smoother, since they can help you through the many decisions that need to be made, from design and layout to choosing cabinets and countertops.
It’s important that the homeowner and kitchen designer communicate well with each other during the design phase. Once an overall kitchen design and layout has been decided upon, plans are drawn and refined to fit your home using a computer equipped with special CAD software.
Hiring a Kitchen Remodeling Contractor
One of the most important decisions you’ll make in your kitchen renovation is the remodeling contractor you hire. When hiring a contractor:
- We sure the contractor has a license to perform work in your area.
- Call your local home builders association to see if the contractor is reputable.
- Ask the contractor for references from past jobs and call to check them out.
- Make sure the contractor you hire is a good listener and that you communicate well together.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Advantages of Hiring a Kitchen Designer (video)
- Importance of Function and Layout in a Kitchen Renovation (video)
- Avoiding Contractor Scams (article)
- How to Choose a Contractor for a Home Renovation (video)