Homemade Lawn Fixture Socket from PVC Pipe
By: Joe Truini
Lawn fixture sockets make it easy to put up and take down everything from patio umbrellas and flagpoles to volleyball nets and sprinklers.
To make lawn fixture sockets from PVC pipe:
- Buy a piece of PVC pipe that’s the right inside diameter to fit the fixture.
- Cut one end of the pipe at about a 45° angle so it forms a sharp point.
- Cut the other end of the pipe to the length you want the socket to extend into the ground.
- Drive the pipe in the ground.
- Pull the pipe out of the ground and remove the dirt inside it.
- Push the pipe back in the hole so it’s flush with the ground.
- Insert the fixture in the pipe.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Tips for Installing a Play Set (video)
- How to Install a Tree Swing Safely (article)
- Keeping Dogs from Digging under Gates
- How to Repair Landscape Lighting (video)
Joe Truini: Chances are sooner or later, you’re going to have to stake out some fixtures on your property, whether it’s a patio umbrella, flagpole, volleyball nets, in this case we’re putting in a portable lawn sprinkler. But if you just stake them up, then they’re always in the way—you can trip over them or have to mow around them.
So here’s a solution where you just make a buried socket out of a piece of PVC. In this case we’re using half-inch PVC, which perfectly fits the sprinkler. But you can get PVC in various diameters, so you can always find one that’ll fit your project.
The first thing you need to do is take the PVC and use a hacksaw to cut off a sharp angle on one end, then cut it three or four inches longer than you need it. Then, drive it into the ground, pull it out, and then tap out the dirt. Then trim it to size.
What you end up with is a perfect size and depth hole in your lawn where you can bury the socket. Just push it in, make sure it’s perfectly flush with the ground, and then you can put in, in this case, the lawn sprinkler. And when you’re done with it, just pull it out, the socket’s always there for reuse, and you can mow right over it and not worry about hitting.
Videos You May Like
|Crescent Pass-Thru Wrench||Husky Total Socket Wrench||Pipe Tool Handle Extension||Husky 20-Piece Universal Socket Wrench...|