How to Build a Holiday Display Shelf Unit
By: Danny Lipford
This portable shelf unit is a great solution to display holiday decorations, but the design can be used for a variety of purposes.
- The project begins with two sheets of 3/4-inch cabinet-grade plywood. Cut a 6×4-foot piece from one sheet before ripping that piece into a pair of 2×6-foot pieces. These will be the vertical side supports.
- To make the shelves resemble a mountain, draw and then cut a gradual taper on each piece to make it narrower as it goes up.
- Join the two sides without the taper with a piano hinge. Band the plywood with solid dimensional lumber to better hold the hinge screws.
- Cut 3/4-inch wide notches in the front edges of the vertical pieces to create support for the horizontal shelves. The notches should stop about 6 inches short of the back edge of the piece.
- Cut the horizontal shelves shorter and more narrow as you go up. This continues the mountain theme but also prevents the unit from being top heavy. The shelves should fit snugly in the notches.
- After sanding and testing the pieces for fit, paint the shelf unit.
The result is an attractive display stand that can be folded flat for storage at the end of the season. Watch the video for details.
Videos You May Like
|How to Build a Storage Shelf Under the...||Make a Kitchen Spice Rack||Laundry Organizer||Corner Shelving Using Biscuit Joints|