How-To Videos

How to Build an On-Grade Shed Foundation

The simplest way for a DIYer to build a foundation for a shed is by creating what is known as an on-grade foundation. Unlike a foundation with poured concrete footings, an on-grade foundation is constructed by stacking solid concrete blocks directly on the ground.

Little or no digging is required to construct an on-grade foundation. Instead, vary the number of stacked blocks and use shims to level the top of each of the foundation pillars.

Once the on-grade foundation for the shed has been completed, the floor is framed up on the piers from pressure treated lumber and plywood. Metal anchors are driven into the ground under the shed and cables attached to the floor framing to hold the shed down in high winds.

Watch this video to find out more.

Comments

6 Comments on “How to Build an On-Grade Shed Foundation”

• Bruce Says:
    August 24th, 2017 at 4:55 pm

I have an on grade shed. There is about a 20″ difference from front to back at the foundation. What is the best way to disguise the open area and keep out animals?

• Kat Says:
    May 2nd, 2017 at 1:54 pm

To wanda, the studs should be 16″ on center with either 2×4 or 2×8 lumber. 18″ on center can be used as well if using 2×8 but it is easiest to go by the 16″.

• Wanda self Says:
    January 24th, 2017 at 9:10 am

Hi! Having a 32×32 ( tiny house type) built and i’m wondering how far apart should the floor joist be

• Ann Says:
    January 22nd, 2017 at 5:20 pm

I have shed kitchen that needs foundations repairs. What options do I have and what are the steps. I know it will pricey but I have a feeling that I’m being charged for maximum price for minimum work.

• Wendy Engelhardt Says:
    March 28th, 2016 at 2:11 pm

I want to build a 10×12 shed on top of my hill. I am particularly interested in a wooden base on smaller cement blocks or smaller bricks since I am almost 70. I would like one of the easiest to build sheds, although I am still very good with power tools.

• Nick Abrams Says:
    September 2nd, 2015 at 4:35 am

I’m planning on using these anchors to build a foundation without concrete. Would appreciate any feedback, pros/cons etc..
    Thanks!