How-To Videos

How to Clean a Dryer Vent

Danny Lipford explaining the importance of cleaning clothes dryer vent pipes.

The vent on a clothes dryer can become clogged with lint over time, causing the dryer to dry less efficiently and resulting in dangerous house fires. To clean your dryer vent, remove the outside cover on the vent, and use a special lint brush with an extendable handle to clean the inside of the pipe.

Watch this video to find out more.

Comments

12 Comments on “How to Clean a Dryer Vent”

• Norris Cashman Says:
    April 1st, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I open the window about 2 inches and close the door to the room the dryer is in when operating my dryer. This way the dryer make up air comes from outside the house. Then the dryer is not using the air you have heated or air conditioned from inside the house. This saves on the cost of heating oil and electricity to run the furnace in the cold weather and electricity to run the air conditioner in hot weather. This method is a money saver for me.

• Barry Stout Says:
    January 7th, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Wayne, the Chimney Safety Institute of America has the C-DET (Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician) certification program. Preparation for the test can be done at CSIA or online. You can find more information here: http://www.csia.org/cdet.html and here: http://www.dryersafety.org/ Anyone looking for additional help from a C-DET can locate one near you from the same page.

• jack yanovitch Says:
    November 2nd, 2016 at 6:37 am

In lieu of flexible dryer vent hose can I replace it with say like a pvc setup?

• Mitchell Hamilton Says:
    November 1st, 2016 at 4:20 pm

I like the Chin Lee method. Leaf blower, battery powered. Works Great! Don’t be afraid to take things apart to clean it thoroughly. Just make sure you note how it comes apart to put it back together properly. Fast isn’t always the best method but it can make it fun.

• Tom Says:
    November 1st, 2016 at 3:03 pm

While you’re at it, remove the plastic hose and replace it with a flex
    metal hose, which will not catch fire and melt as a plastic one can.

• wayne Atwater Says:
    October 26th, 2016 at 3:03 pm

where can I get training to clean dryer vents

• Chin Lee Says:
    September 11th, 2016 at 8:48 am

I use a leaf blower inserted in the vent inside the house to blow out the lints every year. Works great.

• Rick Schuler Says:
    August 16th, 2016 at 8:27 am

My dryer vent goes up into the attic the makes a turn and goes at least 15 feet to the outside. The lint has been building up for 35 years. How do I clean this out?

Lindsay Hughes Says:
    June 22nd, 2016 at 9:15 am

Adrian, here’s a link to a dryer vent cleaning kit. You can use the brush with or without the extension rods. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Dryer-Vent-Cleaning-Kit-DVBRUSH12K-6HD/205047060

• Adrian Batterman Says:
    June 21st, 2016 at 8:10 pm

Where can I get the type of brush you show on your video. I used to have one and I need another. I would like the brush without the handle if possible.

• Susan Reed Says:
    June 11th, 2016 at 1:50 pm

My dryer vent goes up to the roof and has a bend in it so this would not work for me. Any other suggestions?

• Michael O'Grady Says:
    February 10th, 2016 at 12:18 pm

This video is good for the short space from the dryer to the vent outside. My dryer vent is at least eight feet high and twenty plus feet to the outside vent cover. Is there a special tool to use to clean this?

How to Clean a Dryer Vent