How to Clean and Refinish Roof Valleys
By: Danny Lipford
Roof valleys occur where two sections of roof meet. Sheet metal is applied to the valley under the roof shingles to prevent the joint from leaking and direct rain water off the roof.
Remove rust from valley. Spray paint valley.
If not maintained properly, roof valleys can become clogged with leaves and other debris, which can cause the metal to rust and the roof to leak. To clean and refinish a roof valley:
- Use a broom to sweep off the leaves and other debris.
- Remove the bulk of the rust from the valley by scraping it with a flat pry bar, putty knife or paint scraper.
- Use a wire brush to remove the remaining rust.
- Sweep the valley clean with a broom.
- Mask off the bordering shingles by tucking newspapers under them, and folding it back over the roofing material.
- Apply two to three coats of a rust inhibiting spray paint to the sheet metal on the valleys to inhibit rust, prevent future leaks, and improve the look of the valley.
Watch this video to find out more.
Videos You May Like
|Roofing 101||Replacing the Roof on Your Home||Clean and Inspect Your Roof||Roof Design Centers Aid in Choosing a ...|