Simple Solutions

How to Clean Inside the Glass on an Oven Door

By: Joe Truini
Joe Truini using a coat hanger wire to clean between oven door glass.

Joe Truini using a coat hanger wire to clean between oven door glass.

Cleaning the inside of the double glass panes on an oven door may appear impossible, but it’s not that hard if you know how.

How to clean between the glass panes on an oven door:

1. Remove the access panel or drawer below the oven door.
  2. Attach a moistened glass cleaning wipe to a piece of coat hanger wire.
  3. Slide the wire and cleaning wipe up through the slots in the bottom of the oven door.
  4. Move the cleaning wipe back and forth between the glass panes, bending the wire as needed, to clean the glass.
  5. Move the wire to each of the slots in the bottom of the oven door to clean all the glass.

Watch this video to find out more.

Print   Video Transcript

Joe Truini: If you’ve cleaned the inside and the outside of your glass oven door and you’re still seeing streaks, it’s because there might be food dripping down on the inside between the panes of glass, as you see here.

This looks like, this streak looks like it’s on the outside, but it’s not. It’s actually on the inner surface of the outer pane, and that other streak is on the inside surface of the inner pane. So, there’s no way to reach it from the outside the door.

So, what do you do? You make a cleaning wand and you go in from below. I removed the access panel from underneath here, and on the edge of the door—the bottom edge of the door—are slots. And you can slip this wand, which is just a bent piece of wire with a moistened glass cleaning wipe on it.

Force it up in there. And there it is. Now, that’s between the glass. So, you have to bend the wire a little bit, but by working it back and forth, there you can see some of that’s already gone after just a minute.

And because there are two or three slots on the bottom edge of this door, you can pull out the cleaning wand, move it over, and clean the entire glass pane from the inside.

Comments

10 Comments on “How to Clean Inside the Glass on an Oven Door”

• S. Swanger Says:
    July 13th, 2017 at 11:50 am

This worked good at getting the mess from between window but was impossible to really clean it streak free. At least I don’t have to look at the food anymore. Thanks.

• Viki Says:
    May 26th, 2017 at 9:25 am

I have a hard enough time cleaning the glass cooktop on my stove with my hands to make sure that it’s clean and shiny and streak-free. How is this going to clean out a wiggly little coat hanger? I’m almost afraid to try it period is there no way to take off part of the door and if I do is it spring loaded so that I can never get it back together again? This sucks.

• Barb Says:
    March 5th, 2017 at 2:13 pm

Thanks!! Worked Great on my Kenmore Elite. (I used a cloth diaper saved from 25 yrs ago; they work great for household cleaning; never used them for intended purpose Ha!) I was tinking I could retrieve it easier than paper towel if it got stuck . With Windex and a few swipes it now looks brand new. I first clean the glass inside oven trying the baking soda method & it didn’t do that good. (It was not very dirty at all just hazy with a little grease) So I got out the ole handy dandy BarKeepers Friend & made a paste & now it sparkles! (Always check with your Manufacterers recommendations first) I was just willing to risk damage ; but none that I could tell. BKF is used on glass top stoves as well. Happy Cleaning All!!

• TA Says:
    January 22nd, 2017 at 5:09 pm

This worked great on my GE oven. I didn’t even need to remove the bottom panel because the slots were wide enough to do it with the oven door open.
    I attached a paper towel to a folded coat hanger and taped the back and ends so I could remove it without it getting stuck between the glass, the soaked it with Windex. Worked great!
    Thanks. Great fix for an annoying problem.

• Papa Says:
    November 1st, 2016 at 9:43 pm

So how do we make the cleaning wand?

• Kevin Johnson Says:
    November 1st, 2016 at 3:07 pm

There is a way to pull the inside frame out.

• Virgijnia Weins Says:
    November 1st, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I love the cleaning oven glass article!!! 🙂

• Janine Gilmartin Says:
    August 24th, 2016 at 1:29 pm

This worked great thank you!

• Constance M. Fisher Says:
    July 9th, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I do not have a panel or drawer. My stove is a double door oven. One on top and one on the bottom.

• CR Says:
    December 31st, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I thought I would have to live with a streaked oven window since that episode of exploding Pyrex. Thank you! I may now look at my oven again!

How to Clean Inside the Glass on an Oven Door