Close Ad >>

How-To Videos

How to Color Concrete When Pouring a Driveway

To color the concrete for the driveway on the Kuppersmith Project house, powdered colorant was poured into a paper grocery sack and dropped into the concrete truck. The colorant was thoroughly mixed into each load of cement before it was poured. Since the powdered colorant made the concrete stiffer, additional water had to be added to the mix.

Another option for coloring concrete is to apply a color hardener to the top layer of concrete after it has been poured. While a color hardener can produce more vibrant colors than adding colorant to the mix, any dings or edges in the finished slab will show, since the color is only on the surface of the concrete.

Watch this video to find out more.

Comments

9 Comments on “How to Color Concrete When Pouring a Driveway”

• Gilbert Plunkett Says:
    April 19th, 2018 at 8:05 am

How much colorant should be added fo 7 yards of cement. Thanks

• Judy Yockey Says:
    February 12th, 2018 at 1:27 pm

I had a professional cement contractor do a new 3 stall wide driveway and it cracked all the way through the driveway( 5″ thick) and the width long in several places and has rerod. Added professional color in cement truck day of pour. Also all directions of cracks. Wide cracks all the way through. Good day to pour. cracked before he cut . I need help as to why. Plastic shrinkage cracking usually is not this bad so don’t know what to do. Have any ideas. Help!

• JIm Says:
    December 10th, 2017 at 6:17 am

Gina,
    Let them stain the concrete first but tell him if the color isn’t close he will have to replace it. I bet he gets it close and all will be well. Best of luck!

• Gina Says:
    November 8th, 2017 at 2:11 am

My Contractor accidentally poured the wrong stamped concrete colour I requested SLATE and he poured Light Grey. Is there any way he can dye the concrete permanently to Slate? I would never have chosen Light grey because it gets dirty quicker and does not offer any contrast to my white house with black shutters.
    Very upset, Want it removed and poured again. We are meeting tomorrow to discuss. He apologized but has not offered any solutions.

I’m open for any suggestions.

Thanks
    gina

Lindsay Hughes Says:
    May 11th, 2017 at 9:47 am

Hi, Bill, Quikrete makes a cement liquid color that we’ve used before. Here’s a link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-10-oz-Liquid-Cement-Color-Charcoal-131700/100318513

• BILL STEVENSON Says:
    May 11th, 2017 at 7:59 am

WHAT WAS THE MANUFACTURER OF THE COLORING IN THE PAILS
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!

• Karen Schweitzer Says:
    February 1st, 2017 at 6:00 pm

I think its a fantastic idea. I thought of this idea 15 yrs ago. Instead a boring black driveway that does not make your home a pleasing drive up to your house. It looks as though your entering a parking lot. Go for color…it will enhance your home.

• Lezlee Liljenberg Says:
    August 13th, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Thank you for this video-I kept asking my contractor if this could be done and that kept avoiding my question. They want to stain it afterwards and it does not make sense to me. I have stamped concrete inside my home but I just wanted to concrete poured with some color outside to match the surroundings. You have made me confident in my decisions and my questions. I am a DIYer but concrete is not something I want to learn to do in a large way.
    Thanks, Lezlee

• Kyle Oren Says:
    May 25th, 2016 at 11:15 am

I didn’t know that you could do much for coloring concrete. When I get my driveway redone this summer I think I’ll look into this. I have a lot of red rock around my house and it’d be awesome if my driveway could match that. I’ll have to see if any concrete contractors around here do coloring.

How to Color Concrete When Pouring a Driveway