How to Cover Over a Water Stain on a Ceiling
By: Danny Lipford
Water stains on a ceiling are usually caused by roof or plumbing leaks. Follow these steps when covering over a water stain on your ceiling:
- Start by finding the cause of the leak, and repairing the problem to prevent damage in the future.
- Purchase a spray can of stain blocking primer or sealer.
- Spray cans work better than a brush, especially on popcorn or textured ceilings.
- Apply a light coat of the stain blocking primer over the stain to cover it while avoiding dripping.
- If the primer doesn’t match the color of the ceiling, you may need to paint the entire ceiling once the primer has dried.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Homeowner’s Guide to Paint Primer (article)
- How to Choose the Right Paint Primer for Your Home (video)
- How to Tint Paint Primer Yourself (video)