How to Create a Play Area for Children in Your Yard
By: Danny Lipford
Play areas can be a great addition to your yard but they need to be safe. To reduce injuries:
- Examine the ground to make sure it is smooth and even to prevent tripping.
- Add a foot of mulch or sand under play equipment.
- Check the hardware on play equipment. Cut off any protruding bolts and use pliers to close open “S” hooks.
- Be sure there are enclosed railings around any play equipment that is raised off the ground. Limit the open space between balusters to either under 3½” or over 9” to keep children from being trapped between them.
- Do not allow young children to play unattended.
- Purchasing an Outdoor Children’s Playset (video)
- Installing a Playset in Your Yard (video)
- Maintaining an Outdoor Wooden Playset (video)
- How to Install a Tree Swing Safely (article)
Videos You May Like
|Installing a Playset in Your Yard||Outdoor Playset Buying Tips||How to Recycle Crayons||Playset Maintenance Tips|