Close Ad >>

How-To Videos

How to Know if a Foundation Crack in Your Home Is Serious

Most cracks in slabs are small expansion cracks that should not pose a problem. If the crack will show, it can be filled with a concrete repair caulk. However, if the crack is 1/4” wide or wider, and one side is higher than the other, you may have a settling problem that should be examined by a structural engineer.

Comments

7 Comments on “How to Know if a Foundation Crack in Your Home Is Serious”

Thomas Boni Says:
    August 14th, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Hi, Anna,
    Please include a photo with your question so we can understand the issue.
    We accept photos at webmaster@dannylipford.com.
    Thanks so much!

• Anna Minkiewicz Says:
    August 8th, 2018 at 11:28 pm

I bought a townhouse from Mattamy in 2015
    this year I have leak during rain from the corner of the house
    I had a flooding from it
    I ca;l Mattamy , men came and he open the insulation
    big crack shows from the top to the bottom in the basement close to my neighbors
    Mattamy intend to seal it from the inside
    is this correct/ I am afraid that this will appear again after winter
    what I should do
    in addition last year appear crack on the floor going from the corner on the side of the garage to the furnace it is about 120 long Mattamy men said that this is normal
    Anna

• Tope A Says:
    September 4th, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Pls I notice a vertical crack on the wall of my house. I want it repaired what can I do.

• Kathie Kuehn Says:
    October 14th, 2016 at 1:50 am

I live in Hacienda Hts., CA, and have noticed the home I rent a room in has cracks that are getting larger and the main beams in living room are buckling and are getting worse by the day. Should we be worried? And do other residents in my area have the same worries??

• Rosita Herrera Says:
    December 22nd, 2012 at 5:48 am

How can I find out about structural engineers? Thanks

• Edwin Says:
    June 2nd, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Hi,

I bought my house in 2002 new. I notices in the front corner from the bottom the concrete is breaking away by pieces. I called home builder he reply that it was normal at the time. I started to notices more chucks are breaking away more. What should i do?. Thank you.

• Jonathan @ Atlas Piers Says:
    October 12th, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Danny,

Great video. This is exactly what we tell homeowners every week in Georgia. You are right on the money – glad people are getting good information from your website.

From a 20+ year old Foundation repair contractor in Georgia.

How to Know if a Foundation Crack in Your Home Is Serious