How to Install a Polyurethane Ceiling Medallion
By: Danny Lipford
Installing a ceiling medallion and is a great way to dress up a room, requires no tools, and is easy to do.
How to Install a Ceiling Medallion
- Turn off the power to the ceiling fan or light fixture at the breaker or fuse box.
- Remove the cover plate on the fixture, and take a picture of the wiring.
- Use an electrical tester on the wires to make sure the power is off, then disconnect the wiring and remove the fixture from the ceiling.
- Trial fit the ceiling medallion to make sure it fits around the electrical box.
- Apply polyurethane based construction adhesive to the back of the ceiling medallion.
- Center the medallion over the electrical box, and press it against the ceiling.
- Pull the medallion slight off the ceiling to allow air into the adhesive.
- Press the medallion firmly back against the ceiling.
- Reinstall the ceiling fan or light fixture and attach the wiring.
- If needed, caulk around the medallion and paint it.
Watch this video to find out more.
- Tips for Cutting Moldings (article)
- How to Install Chair Rail Molding (video)
- How to Cut and Install Crown Molding (video)
- Turning Stock Molding into Custom Molding (video)
Danny Lipford: Be sure that the power is disconnected from the ceiling fan or light fixture that the medallion will accent before you disconnect the fixture. Photographing the wiring connections will help you return them to their proper arrangement later.
When the fixture is removed, it will expose an electrical box, usually four inches in diameter. The ceiling medallion should have a hole the same size in the center of it.
Apply a generous bead of polyurethane based construction adhesive to the back of the medallion, and center it over the electrical box on the ceiling.
Press the medallion against the ceiling, and pull it off slightly before pressing it back in place. This practice adds air to the adhesive and tightens its grip. Now you can replace the electrical fixture and reconnect the wiring.
If necessary you can caulk around the medallion and paint it once the adhesive is completely dry.
Videos You May Like
|Installing a Ceiling Medallion||Install Chandelier & Dimmer||Install Smoke and CO Alarms||Supporting a Ceiling Fan|