Around the Yard
How to Keep Your Lawn Mower Running Efficiently
By: Allen Lyle
To keep your lawn mower running efficiently, it’s important to perform the following four maintenance procedures every year in the spring at the beginning of the mowing season:
- Replace the spark plug.
- Clean or replace the air filter.
- Drain and change the oil.
- Sharpen or replace the blade
Every time you finish cutting the grass, let your lawn mower cool down, then disconnect the spark plug wire, and:
- Check the air filter (clean or replace if needed).
- Check the blade (sharpen or replace if needed).
- Clean under the mower with a garden hose (reduces fuel by 20%).
After performing this regular maintenance, reconnect the spark plug wire and your lawn mower will be ready for the next cutting. Watch this video to find out more.
- Lawn Mower Maintenance (article/video)
- How to Change a Lawn Mower Spark Plug (article)
- How to Change a Lawn Mower Air Filter (article)
- How to Choose the Right Lawn Mower for Your Yard (video)
- Lawn Mowing Techniques for Your Yard (video)
Lawn mower maintenance is pretty basic. At the beginning of every cutting season there are definitely four things you absolutely must do: replace the spark plug, replace the air filter, change the oil, and either replace or sharpen the blade.
Nothing creates an unhealthy lawn as much as a dull blade. Shreds the grass, allows disease to get in there. You don’t want to do that. So every month you want to check that.
Every time you mow – no matter what – when you are finished, allow the lawnmower to cool down completely, disconnect the spark plug, check the air filter make sure it is clean. If you have to get a new one, do so.
But then you also want to check the underside of the deck. Clean it with a garden hose, spray it down very well because – believe it or not – particularly if you have a mulching blade like this, having the underside of that deck filthy can use up to 20% more fuel. And with today’s gasoline prices, every penny counts.
Videos You May Like
|Maintaining a Lawn Mower||How to Maintain a Lawn Mower||Problem with Lawn Mower Engine Running...||Winterizing a Lawn Mower|