Around the Yard

How to Locate Buried Utility Lines in Your Yard

By: Tricia Craven Worley

Before digging in your yard, call 811 to have utility companies come out and mark any underground utility lines, and do not dig within 2’ of marked lines. Lines are marked with the following color coded paint:

• Red: Electric lines
  • Yellow: Gas lines
  • Orange: Cable TV lines
  • Blue: Water lines
  • Green: Sewage lines

Comments

11 Comments on “How to Locate Buried Utility Lines in Your Yard”

• Marg kruger Says:
    August 23rd, 2018 at 7:39 pm

The fellow with the neighbor punting his water runoff onto your property ..call the city code man that’s NOT LEGAL code enforecement officer will come out anonomously and!check it out but its not ok to do what he!did

Thomas Boni Says:
    August 17th, 2018 at 1:46 pm

Danny says, “It’s hard to say, Bill. It could be a cable TV line or an old ‘invisible fence’ for dogs — but it’s really hard to be able to tell you exactly what it is.
    “Yellow wires can connect to many things, so it may even be hard to determine the source if I was standing there looking at it. It’s just almost impossible.
    Good luck with this!”

• Bill Says:
    July 1st, 2018 at 7:32 am

I’m digging a trench around my carport because the next door neighbor decided to punt his house gutter runoff right at my carport and because I just purchased this home I noticed that my carport concrete slab is breaking because the water is causing the dirt to settle. I find two bare yellow wires going threw the concrete slab and onto his property. Let me state that our houses are close together. What are these wires anyway?

• kevin hunt Says:
    May 23rd, 2018 at 3:59 pm

Black Hills Energy and USIC (colorado), will not mark gas lines on homeowner (private)property. You must call and pay a private company for locate service

Thomas Boni Says:
    May 23rd, 2018 at 11:00 am

Hi, Wayne!
    The safest option, which we recommend, is to contact 811 to locate these lines in your home’s yard.
    Thanks for your question.

• wayne Says:
    May 19th, 2018 at 9:28 am

i bought my home 2 years ago. built in 1950 on hilly, 2 1/2 acres. how do i find the sewer and water lines.
    is there a detector like a metal detector?
    does the city have a reliable ‘map’?
    how deep are these lines typically?

• Berry Says:
    March 27th, 2017 at 11:00 am

Greg the reason that water utility will NOT locate on your property is that after the water meter box (your service) is yours, the reason gas,phone or electric will locate on your property is that the utility responsible to the meter which runs on private property it is very uncommon for a wmb on private property, let’s say for an example you have a water leak past the meter and your a do it yourself incompetent renter you hook up a garden hose from the box to the house how can a utility company located it, they can’t and wont

• Russell Miskanis Says:
    September 25th, 2016 at 11:14 am

Ok guys. I found the S stamped in the curb. (Sewer clean out ) is what I’m looking for. How far from the S. Would I look for it ? …four feet from the house ? Or four feet from the curb where it’s marked ????

• Greg Ruiz Says:
    September 8th, 2016 at 8:57 pm

People s/b aware that water utility companies will not locate and mark water lines on your property. They will only locate and mark where service enters your meter near curb or street. They claim it’s not their responsibility and do not have capability to locate and will not come on private property. I have had other utilities locate and mark location on my property: electric, telephone, cable TV.

• Niel koenig Says:
    April 8th, 2016 at 5:31 pm

How do I mark non corporate (propane tank) Miss utility will NOT mark or look for them

• joebear Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Orange is also for telephone lines

How to Locate Buried Utility Lines in Your Yard