How-To Videos

How to Patch Damaged or Rotten Wood

By: Danny Lipford
Rotten door casing and jamb.

Rotten door casing and jamb.

You can often repair damaged, nonstructural wood—such as molding, siding, or trim—on your home by filling the damaged area with automotive body filler. Here’s how.

How to repair damaged wood:

  1. Dig out any rotten wood.
  2. Mix up two-part automotive filler.
  3. Fill the void with the filler.
  4. As the filler starts to cure, shape it to conform to the molding.
  5. After the filler hardens, sand it smooth with the surface.

Watch this video to find out more.

Further Information

Print   Video Transcript

Danny Lipford: When you’re dealing with damaged woodwork, the question that always follows is, “Do I repair it or do I replace it?”

The answer can be found in the purpose of the damaged component. If its function is purely aesthetic—like molding, trim, or siding—then it can often be patched.

Automobile body filler is a great choice because this two-part compound dries very hard, very quickly, so you can fill voids and make repairs very easily.

Once it’s dry, it can be sanded just like wood to create a smooth, finished surface.


Please Leave a Comment

One Comment on “How to Patch Damaged or Rotten Wood”

You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.

We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at

How to Patch Damaged or Rotten Wood