Around the Yard
How to Plant Ground Cover to Prevent Erosion
By: Tricia Craven Worley
Water is good for your yard, but too much in one area can lead to erosion of the soil. To prevent erosion from occurring, install a layer of burlap before planting groundcover. Here’s how:
- Cut a piece of burlap big enough to cover the area.
- Cut evenly spaced holes in the burlap for the groundcover.
- Plant the groundcover in each hole. For this project we chose jasmine.
- Hammer wooden stakes in the burlap to hold it in place.
- After the groundcover has become established, the stakes can be removed.
Over time the burlap will decompose into the earth leaving only the plants. Watch this video to find out more.