Close Ad >>

Ask Danny Videos

How to Prevent Condensation and Sweating on Windows

Condensation or sweating on the inside of windows during cold weather is caused by high humidity inside your home and single pane windows that allow cold outside air to come into contact with heated air inside your home.

To prevent condensation on windows:

• Run vent fans in bathrooms when showering or bathing.
  • Turn on vent fans in the kitchen when cooking.
  • Have your heating and cooling system inspected to make sure it’s running properly.
  • Install storm windows or replace single pane windows with insulated glass windows.
  • In extreme situations you also may need to install a dehumidifier in your home.

Watch this video to find out more.

Print   Video Transcript

Melissa asks: What causes my windows to sweat?

Danny Lipford: Now, that is probably the most common question I’ve heard over the last couple of years, and it is quite a problem for a lot of homeowners regardless of the type of windows that you have. Now, condensation on the inside of windows is simply a result of excessive moisture in your home. And that emphasizes the need to use, on a regular basis, your kitchen and bath exhaust fans.

Also, you want to make sure your heating and cooling system is working properly to keep your humidity in your house under control. Now, to see if you have any kind of a problem like that you can pick up one of these. It’s a very simple hydrometer, only costs about $20, and it’ll tell you exactly the percentage of relative humidity you have in your home.

Ideally, you need it to be below 40% to control condensation on your windows. And in more severe situations you may have to install a de-humidifier.

Comments

18 Comments on “How to Prevent Condensation and Sweating on Windows”

• Melissa Williams Says:
    July 11th, 2018 at 6:56 am

Every morning I have sweat or condensation on the outside of my windows in the summertime. My AC vents are on the floor beside all windows but only the front of the house has this problem. Can someone help me determine what to do?

Thomas Boni Says:
    May 23rd, 2018 at 10:17 am

Hi, Mrs. Wildman! If your seal is broken, it may be necessary to replace the windows.
    First, here are articles on this topic:
    -https://www.todayshomeowner.com/fth/dealing-with-condensation-on-windows/
    -https://www.todayshomeowner.com/cure-sweating-windows/
    -https://www.todayshomeowner.com/removing-moisture-from-double-pane-windows/
    Thanks for your question.

• mrs wildman Says:
    May 20th, 2018 at 3:41 pm

how do you get rid of condension between my double glazing in my bedroom window

• foo bar Says:
    January 22nd, 2018 at 10:16 am

It’s called a hygrometer.

• SANDY Says:
    January 15th, 2018 at 9:48 pm

I have double pane windows (about 8 years old) new metal roof (3 yrs) and only a window in the bathroom. I have electric heat. On the bottom part of my windows which are metal above the caulk my windows sweat..and eventually in the spring when it’s time to clean them there is mold in the little gap where all the water drains..I have a dehumidifier should I use it all winter to keep this moisture from happening?

• Ben C Says:
    January 2nd, 2018 at 9:13 am

We heat our house with a propane fueled heater, supplemented with electric heat. When we have consistent outside temperatures in the teens and lower, we experience a condensation spot in the middle of our 5′ by 6′ picture window. In the past we’ve set up a small fan to blow on it for control. Is there any other window treatment, etc. that we could use? I know that the gas heating is the culprit, just get tired of setting the fan all the time. And we’re currently in the single digits here the last few days. (Texas panhandle area). Thanks for your help.

• Stan Barosky Says:
    December 30th, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Same problem as Charlotte Rice, new house with with best Andersen windows. Humidity in house 31% and 1to3 inches of Ice & condensation every morning. Contacted lumber yard & Andersen and NO HELP only run around. Anyone with any SUGGESTIONS

• Charlotte Rice Says:
    December 28th, 2017 at 11:24 am

We purchased the best Andersen windows and now they have condensation on the inside of them each morning. They were not replacement windows new complete windows. It does not matter if we have mini blinds or drapes they still have condensation on top saches. What can we do? Andersen rep has promised us he would be by to check on them for weeks but haven’t seen him and not going to pay all we owe until problem is fixed. We do not have alot of humidity in our home as we are burning wood burning stove and home one level. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Jerry ledbetter Says:
    December 4th, 2017 at 3:56 pm

I have double pane windows. How can I stop this moisture buildup?

• diane Says:
    December 1st, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Been watching a few weeks now and notice ALLEN has not been on the show, is he on vacation or is he no longer on the show?

• Kay Lewis Says:
    November 4th, 2017 at 10:10 am

I live in an apartment with sliding doors. There’s an outside one, then a screen door, then the inside one. The outside door is covered with condensation on its inside. I’ve tried wiping it clear, but it just steams up again. This also happens on some of the windows. Help please.

• Ronnie Says:
    October 16th, 2017 at 10:28 am

I have the same problem with my windows and I have double panes insulated storm windows.My problems are they have moisture between the panes.The summer time hot outside and air on inside and winter cold outside and heat on inside so how do I handle this.
    Thanks

• Hernan Gutierrez Says:
    July 29th, 2017 at 8:21 am

I am also seeking an explanation about condensation on the outside of the windows during summer nights.

• Carol Says:
    January 17th, 2017 at 12:48 pm

3 Windows on the back of my house get condensation in the winter which is right now. The odd thing is the MBR has 2 Windows but only the one on the back side sweats. All 3 of these windows were replaced 15 plus yrs ago. All of the others were replaced at the same time maybe 10 yrs ago. None of the other Windows sweat. The house temp is typically set at 64-66 degrees. It is usually on the cooler side unless weather is very cold out. Bathroom is vented. Strangely the front Bedrooms/front of the Ranch house tends to be warmer than the back half. Any ideas on why some sweat and not others?

• Belinda McNair Says:
    December 19th, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Hello

I have a Mobile Home and the back door glass is my issue. Back door is located in a hallway facing the North side with a long rectangle single pane window that I keep covered for privacy. How do I prevent the condensation which starts a mold build-up?

• Timothy Lynch Says:
    May 30th, 2016 at 7:14 am

Hi Could you tell me why i am getting condersation on my and ceiling after putting in insulation batts under a tin roof.

Regards Tim

• Tianna Says:
    November 8th, 2014 at 4:15 pm

A very easy and inexpensive way to deal with window condensation is to use a simple tool called a ‘Scoopy’ window condensation squeegee. Until recently they were only available in New Zealand, but they are now available in Canada as well. They will also be available in the US within the next month or so, I believe. A great investment!

• Deborah Says:
    July 16th, 2014 at 1:22 pm

My question I was seeking an answer to was about condensation on the outside of windows. We keep our house pretty cool and every morning the outside of our glass is cover in condensation so much that I can’t see outside. I tried Rainx, but it’s is not working. I raise the temperature inside but it takes a long time to clear. Mainly I like to watch the birds outside my bedroom window. Are there any products that will repeal the moisture?

How to Prevent Condensation and Sweating on Windows