How-To Videos

How to Prevent Pet Damage to Door Weather Stripping

Dogs and cats are pretty smart animals, and some have figured out that if they scratch on a door long enough, someone will come and open it for them. While this may appear cute, the damage the scratching can cause to the rubber weather stripping isn’t.

To repair damaged weather stripping and prevent future damage:

1. Purchase new weather stripping to fit your door, along with a piece of vinyl lattice that matches the color of the door frame.
  2. Remove the damaged weather stripping from the groove in the door jamb.
  3. Insert the new weather stripping in the groove, and check to be sure the door closes properly.
  4. Cut the vinyl lattice to the length of the door jamb.
  5. Position the vinyl lattice over the weather stripping, making sure the door still closes properly.
  6. Tack the vinyl lattice in place with finishing nails.
  7. Set the nailheads just below the surface of the lattice.
  8. Apply a dap of caulking to each nailhead hole.

Now your pet can scratch on the lattice without damaging the rubber weather stripping. Watch this video to find out more.

Comments

6 Comments on “How to Prevent Pet Damage to Door Weather Stripping”

• Jennifer Says:
    November 25th, 2016 at 6:19 am

Thank you! I’m going out to buy this today! The dogs have ruined the door but I’m moving in a year or two so don’t want to buy another door then it get messed up too. this is a great fix to keep the door a while longer.

• Jenn Says:
    November 16th, 2016 at 6:54 pm

I with Candi and Carolyn. Thanks for the tip. Are there any solutions for the center section of french doors?

• Jan Says:
    October 2nd, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Thank you for the tip. Our cats have scratched the weatherstripping on our door when they want in. It was so bad you can feel the draft. I can’t wait until we do this to the door. This seems like the solution to our problem.

• Carolyn Smith Says:
    September 26th, 2016 at 9:26 pm

Hi, someone in the comments section asked about how to do this project ( how to prevent pet damage on weather stripping) with
    French doors. I am interested in this as well

• Candi Hawkins Says:
    December 30th, 2015 at 3:28 pm

I really appreciate you posting this! I have two dogs that scratch to come in, and the house is getting a bit drafty! Do you have any suggestions on doing something similar to this for the center of french doors?

• Jackie Says:
    July 30th, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I want to thank you, You saved my cat and many arguments, we just bought new doors and my cat always jumped on our old door which was metal, no damage and it had a window, well the new door has a half moon window at the top of door, she dug the heck out of the seal where you can look outside to let us know she wanted in {it looks worse than the one on your video} my cats head was on the chopping block so I got un line to see what products they had for this problem with no luck then i came across your video a million thanks to you GOD BLESS