How-To Videos

How to Repair Broken Glass Window Panes

When replacing a broken or cracked glass window pane in your home, be sure to wear protective gloves. Here’s how to go about it:

1. Use a utility knife, scraper, chisel, or 5-in-1 painter’s tool to remove the old glazing and metal fasteners around the broken pane.
  2. Carefully remove the broken pieces of glass.
  3. Measure the opening for the glass, and subtract 1/8” from the height and width for an easy fit.
  4. Cut the glass using a straight edge and glass cutter, or have it cut for you at a home center or hardware store.
  5. Clean and prime the bare wood around the window and allow to dry.
  6. Set the glass pane in the opening.
  7. Hold the glass in place with push or glazier’s points pressed into the frame on each side of the frame.
  8. Fill the opening between glass and frame with glazing putty.
  9. Allow the putty to dry before priming and painting over it.

Watch this video to find out more.

Comments

11 Comments on “How to Repair Broken Glass Window Panes”

Thomas Boni Says:
    May 31st, 2019 at 9:57 am

Hi, Sam,
    Window frame repair kits are available at home centers, including the ones you mentioned.
    Alternatively, you can replace the entire frame.
    Good luck!

• Sam Jenkins Says:
    May 29th, 2019 at 9:55 pm

I have a solod glass 3’x2′ with the 9 section panes over top of it. The pane has broken, and seems to be made of some sort of plastic or polymer material. How or where can I get just the pane cover from? Lowes and Home epot jad no idea what I was talking about.

• I DUNNO Says:
    January 28th, 2019 at 2:00 pm

These are easy steps to how to repair broken Window Panes

• Grant Stevens Says:
    September 7th, 2018 at 5:35 pm

Thank you! I didn’t know what a window was before but now, not only do I know what a window is, I know how to replace one too. Thanks so much Danny Lipford! I love you. <3 😉

• Auckland Glazier Says:
    January 9th, 2017 at 12:53 am

• Evans Glass Says:
    November 9th, 2016 at 6:19 am

The video is nice, very informative. To ensure easy and safe removal of the broken glass pane, tape off the remaining glass with painter’s tape.

• Terri Says:
    August 9th, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Of all times to wear safety glasses this would be the one.

• Kody Loveless Says:
    July 13th, 2016 at 8:24 am

Thanks for the tips. My son and his friends just put a hole in my back window playing with their remote control planes. I was thinking of doing it myself but I do not know if I am quite handy enough. I think you explained it simply enough but I still doubt by ability to fix it myself. Especially if I have to cut the glass. I will have someone come out and take a look at it.

• Hazel Owens Says:
    May 24th, 2016 at 8:13 am

Thanks for the video, and for giving step-by-step instructions! If one of my window panes broke, I’d definitely let a local hardware or specialty store cut the new glass. However, your tips to remove the glass and to take off 1/8″ while measuring should come in handy, since I should be able to do that myself. Thanks again.

• Donna Says:
    December 9th, 2015 at 7:06 am

I’ve replaces a single pane of glass in my old windows using glazing compounds, etc. After watching a video or two, I did not find it too difficult, just tedious from lack of experience. When we recently needed to replace a pane on our old front door, I hired a professional as I had not worked with wood stops before. Now that I’ve seen that procedure first-hand, I would suggest that the wood stops and the glass be removed from the side of the door on the inside of the house. It would eliminate/minimize any minor scrapes on the exterior of the door, eliminate the need for repainting the exterior. At least in my case, the interior is covered with a lace curtain, making any potential scrapes less noticeable than on the front of the door. Just an observation.

• jennifer king Says:
    September 15th, 2015 at 6:36 am

Nice video. Thanks for giving step wise process. But if you are a first time diy’er then you should hire local professionals for repairing broken glass panes.

characters available