How to Repair Exterior Wood Shutters
Exterior wood shutters take a lot of abuse from the elements. Over time this can cause the wood in shutters to rot or the joints in the shutter frame to come apart. Here’s how to repair shutters on your home.
How to repair a rotten shutter:
- Remove all the rotten wood from the damaged area of the shutter using a chisel or putty knife.
- Mix up a small amount of two-part auto body filler, available at auto supply stores, using the recommended proportions.
- Use a putty knife to fill the hole in the shutter with automotive body.
- Smooth the filler flush with the surface of the shutter, and allow it to set.
- Smooth the surface with sandpaper.
- Prime the spot with exterior primer, allow to dry, then paint the shutter with a high quality exterior paint.
How to repair a shutter joint:
- Hold or clamp the shutter frame together, making sure the louver slats are properly positioned in the slots.
- Drill a pilot hole through the shutter stile and into the shutter rail.
- Use a drill to insert a corrosion resistant screw in the hole to secure the frame together.
- Prime and paint the screw head to keep water out and hide the repair.
Watch this video to find out more.
Videos You May Like
|How to Paint Vinyl Shutters||Choosing Shutters for Your Home||How to Repair Rotten Wood||Shutters Can Be More than Just Decorat...|