How to Replace a Roof Vent Jack
By: Danny Lipford
Remove nails Take out old roof jack Attach new roof jack
If you have squirrels in your area, there is a good chance the lead roof jacks on your home need to be replaced. Roof jacks fit over plumbing vent pipes that protrude through the roof to keep them from leaking. Squirrels can damage the jacks by chewing on the soft lead covering to sharpen their teeth.
Steps to Replacing a Roof Vent Jack
To replace a damaged roof vent jack on your home:
- Carefully pry up the shingles around the roof jack using a flat pry bar.
- Remove any roofing nails, and slide out the shingles.
- Pry up the old jack, and remove it by pulling it up over the vent pipe.
- Slide a new roof jack, sized to fit your vent pipe, over the pipe.
- Secure the new roof jack to the roof decking with roofing nails.
- Cut roof shingles to fit around the roof jack, and insert them under the existing shingles.
- Nail the new shingles down with roofing nails so the nails are covered by the shingle above.
- Use a hammer to bend the top edge of the soft lead roof jack down into the vent pipe.
Watch this video to find out more.
Videos You May Like
|How to Clean and Refinish Roof Valleys||Choosing Wood Flooring||How to Remove Glue and Adhesive from F...||Weekend Warriors!|