Importance of a Generator in Preparing Your Home for Severe Weather
By: Danny Lipford
If you live in a hurricane prone area, it’s important to make emergency preparations long before a storm is on the horizon.
Emergency preparations should include:
- Stockpile water and nonperishable food.
- Storm shutters or plywood to protect windows.
- Tarps and roofing nails to cover a damaged roof.
- Automatic standby generator or portable generator to deal with power outages.
A backup generator is a good idea even if you don’t live in a hurricane prone area, since the average utility customer in the U.S. experiences on average about 214 minutes of power loss a year. Automatic standby generators are the best option, since they’re:
- Fueled by natural gas or propane.
- Hardwired into your home’s electrical system.
- Safer to use than a portable generator.
- Turn on automatically within seconds of a power outage.
Portable generators are a less expensive option, but be sure to:
- Choose a quality brand with a good safety record.
- Only operate outdoors in the open away from your home.
- Equip your home with carbon monoxide detectors to alert you in case of a buildup of CO gas.
Taking these steps now, before a hurricane or severe weather strikes, will ensure that you and your home are prepared in the event of an emergency. For more information, visit our Severe Weather Preparedness page.
Videos You May Like
|Standby Generator Installation||Whole House Generator Being Installed ...||Preparing Your Standby Generator for S...||Preparing for Hurricanes|