Ask Danny Videos

Is Mold in Your Home Dangerous?

By: Danny Lipford

While there is disagreement about the danger posed by mold in the home, it has been known to cause allergic reactions in certain people, especially children. On the other hand, we all breathe in millions of mold spores every year with no real ill health effects.

To be on the safe side, eliminate any leaks in kitchens and baths that can lead to mold growth and use vent fans to provide adequate ventilation. If you do see signs of mold, use an environmentally friendly cleaner to remove it or hire professionals to handle the job.


Comments

Please Leave a Comment

4 Comments on “Is Mold in Your Home Dangerous?”

You can follow comments to this article by subscribing to the RSS news feed with your favorite feed reader.

  • Official Comment:


    Thomas Boni Says:
    August 21st, 2018 at 5:47 pm

    Hi, Karen,

    Sorry to hear about these situations you’re facing.
    The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has resources that help tenants understand their rights.
    Here’s a direct link to the state listings: https://www.hud.gov/topics/rental_assistance/tenantrights
    Best wishes.



  • Karen Hermon Says:
    August 20th, 2018 at 12:56 pm

    I’m a female age 46. Currently renting a fourplex. I’ve been here 3 years. I have been getting sick. I have asthma and copd. Never smoked. Currently there is black mold, I have increasingly used the ac for summer. But the units and vents are moldy black standing water rotting the standing water is full of mold. Rotting black blocks and wood. I’m getting worse my health is not keeping up. He won’t fix it. I really need an inspector come here and report his diagnosis and advice for a lawyer. I don’t wanna die because of this


  • Official Comment:


    Thomas Boni Says:
    July 26th, 2018 at 4:24 pm

    Hi, Doni-Anne,
    Have you tried Wet & Forget? It’s product line targets mold, mildew and other growths.
    Here’s more information: http://www.askwetandforget.com/
    Take care!



  • Doni-Anne Way Says:
    July 19th, 2018 at 11:39 am

    I live in a mobile home and in the heat vent and underneath my bedroom I smell musty smells. I assume it is mold as I have seen mold grow on things that are stored under my home. I have been very sick due to this. Please advise your thoughts
    Thank you


We want to hear from you! In addition to posting comments on articles and videos, you can also send your comments and questions to us on our contact page or at (800) 946-4420. While we can't answer them all, we may use your question on our Today's Homeowner radio or TV show, or online at todayshomeowner.com.

Is Mold in Your Home Dangerous?