Killing Weeds Naturally in a Gravel Walk or Driveway
By: Danny Lipford
Keeping weeds at bay in a gravel walk or driveway can be a constant battle. While you could use herbicides to kill weeds, there are several naturally occurring, common household items that will do the job as well.
How to kill weeds naturally:
- Salt: Spreading salt on the gravel will kill weeds, but it will sterilize the ground for years to come, so use it sparingly.
- Boiling Water: Another way to kill weeds naturally is to pour boiling water over them.
- By Hand: If there aren’t many weeds in your gravel, it’s best to pull weeds out by hand.
Watch this video to find out more.
- How to Kill Weeds in a Gravel Driveway (article)
- Killing Weeds with Boiling Water (video)
- How to Control Weeds in Your Lawn (article)
- Tips for Controlling Weeds in Your Yard (video)
Susan wants to know, “What’s a safe way to remove weeds from a gravel walk or driveway?”
Danny Lipford: I remember years ago, I used to have an office with a large gravel parking lot, and I battled those grasses and weeds all the time that would pop up right through that gravel no matter what I did.
Now, I tried to spray on a lot of the weed and grass killers, and they would work OK for a while, but I found something that worked just as good and it was even cheaper—just regular table salt. Now, I would buy it in the large 40-pound bags and it worked so well, very easy to use.
Then I found something that was even cheaper, and that’s boiling water. You can take your tea kettle, and just pour it directly on any of the weeds or grasses that you may have. And it basically cooks them right in place, kills them quicker than just about anything else.
Now, just like any weed killers, you want to make sure you’re only applying the salt or hot water right where you want to kill it, not over on your nice grass. But when you really want to get rid of them, if you have just a few weeds, just simply pull them out by the roots.
Videos You May Like
|How to Kill Weeds in a Gravel Driveway||How to Kill Weeds Using Boiling Water||DuraZone Weed & Grass Killer||Top Driveway Surface Options|