How-To Videos

Killing Weeds Naturally in a Gravel Walk or Driveway

Pouring boiling water on weeds in a gravel driveway.

Using boiling water to kill weeds in a gravel driveway.

Keeping weeds at bay in a gravel walk or driveway can be a constant battle. While you could use herbicides to kill weeds, there are several naturally occurring, common household items that will do the job as well.

How to kill weeds naturally:

• Salt: Spreading salt on the gravel will kill weeds, but it will sterilize the ground for years to come, so use it sparingly.
  • Boiling Water: Another way to kill weeds naturally is to pour boiling water over them.
  • By Hand: If there aren’t many weeds in your gravel, it’s best to pull weeds out by hand.

Watch this video to find out more.

Print   Video Transcript

Susan wants to know, “What’s a safe way to remove weeds from a gravel walk or driveway?”

Danny Lipford: I remember years ago, I used to have an office with a large gravel parking lot, and I battled those grasses and weeds all the time that would pop up right through that gravel no matter what I did.

Now, I tried to spray on a lot of the weed and grass killers, and they would work OK for a while, but I found something that worked just as good and it was even cheaper—just regular table salt. Now, I would buy it in the large 40-pound bags and it worked so well, very easy to use.

Then I found something that was even cheaper, and that’s boiling water. You can take your tea kettle, and just pour it directly on any of the weeds or grasses that you may have. And it basically cooks them right in place, kills them quicker than just about anything else.

Now, just like any weed killers, you want to make sure you’re only applying the salt or hot water right where you want to kill it, not over on your nice grass. But when you really want to get rid of them, if you have just a few weeds, just simply pull them out by the roots.

Comments

8 Comments on “Killing Weeds Naturally in a Gravel Walk or Driveway”

• Shirley Says:
    July 5th, 2018 at 6:22 pm

Are we talking table salt or softener salt?

• Mark Says:
    May 13th, 2018 at 10:56 am

I am trying the boiling water method on my gravel walk in the back. I have been spending $10.00 a week on roundup for the last 6 years. I want to kill weeds naturally. I have used my coffee pot to spread the hot water on a section of my gavel and will update this post in a couple of days .

• Chirpa Says:
    April 10th, 2018 at 9:03 pm

For those of you having issues with weeds in your gravel…use regular roundup…not the advanced, not the ultra…regular roundup…only use it on the places you want to kill everything and make sure it doesn’t drift to places you have plants you don’t want to kill…use it when there is no chance of rain for a few days…once that is done, use preen (corn based) or some other pre-emergent compound that will keep the weeds from even coming up…you have to reapply the pre-emergent every few months or as often as it says on the package…then you can theoretically live with weed free gravel….

• Bryce Says:
    March 29th, 2018 at 4:45 pm

John, I bought a propane flame torch, and found it to be a bit under-effective. Sure, you can zap any weed with it, if you’re patient, but it takes several seconds of “flame time” before most weeds are ready to surrender. If you have hundreds of weeds, it can be quite a chore.

• Felix N. Castellano Says:
    March 6th, 2017 at 2:09 pm

My driveway is more weeds than gravel, what can I do to have a gravel driveway again?

• julie Says:
    March 12th, 2016 at 7:04 am

What oan I use to kill weeds without harming plants .

• John Gunderson Says:
    July 21st, 2014 at 9:43 am

Is anyone familiar with burning the weeds with a propane torch as a great way to kill weeds? Please let me know.

• Heidi Says:
    June 1st, 2014 at 2:41 pm

My entire front yard is xeriscaped(?). You know, West Texas, gravel and low water need plants? How long does the boiling water on weeds kill the weeds? Is it permanent out a few weeks? I’ve tried all kinds of commercial weed killers without much success. The worst are what we call “goat heads”. Ahh thoughts would be appreciated especially because it’s a large area. Thank you.

Killing Weeds Naturally in a Gravel Walk or Driveway